Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My Kitchenaid washing machine is about 4 years old. The ...

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid washing machine is about 4 years old. The other night it smelt of burn rubber when washing. Then we noticed that iit was no longer spinning but it was still running. We assume it is a belt but cannot seem to figure out how to get at the belt! Can you advise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like you lost the coupling, the equivalent to the belt. This machine is accessed from the front by removing the cabinet! There are two phillips screws on the timer console end caps, either in the front or the back, depending on the model. Remove the two screws and pull the timer console forward and swing it up on its hinges. You will see two brass clips near the outer edges. With a screwdriver you can remove them by gently prying at the front of the clip until it pops up and off. Next you need to disconnect the lid switch, either pretty close to the RH clip or over towards the LH lid hinge. After that, the entire cabinet will hinge forward and allow removal. Next, remove two clips holding pump on the motor. Remove two 1/4" screws on motor clips and remove clips from motor. The motor is heavy, so be careful! You can disconnect the wiring harness from motor for easier access. Once you remove the motor, there is 3 pieces to the coupling. One piece on the motor shaft, one on the gearcase shaft and the rubber coupler in the middle. Replace with part #285753A, cost about $20.00 or so. Then reverse procedure! Make sure the shaft of tranny and motor are flush with the new coupling, I use a 7/16" socket to install as you need to pound them on with a hammer. The new one will have a metal center...good luck! Kelly