Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

my whirlpool dryer model #3397286 is tumbling but not ...

Customer Question

my whirlpool dryer model #3397286 is tumbling but not heating up we took off the vent and still don''t heat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
The model you give is not valid, but here are some suggestions. First, check your breaker to see that one side has not flipped. Turn the breaker off then back on, even if it looks OK. Next, most Whirlpools have a thermal cut-out mounted on the heater can(RH side of machine from rear, cover off) . The thermal is usually mounted high on the can left side and has two red wires going to it. Next of course is the element itself. All these are most common failures, in the order listed. You will need a meter to check for continuity through the thermal and the element. Good luck...Kelly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i got that answer from i was hoping for more info from a professional. can you give me anything better those dont work. thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Do yopu have a meter to check for voltage? One side of the heater voltage comes from the timer through the thermostats and the other side comes from the motor switch. Do you have 240 volts to the heater or 120? If 120, you need to isolate which side you are losing, the timer side or the motor switch side. If you have 240, then the element is bad.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this didn't help. i went to the appliance parts store in town and he answered the question knew what was wrong and sold me the part. thanks anyway.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
What part did you need? A thermal cut out? Must have been something with the thermostats or thermal fuse?