Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My 2001 Kenmore dryer (model #XXXXXXXXXXX) no longer ...

Customer Question

My 2001 Kenmore dryer (model #XXXXXXXXXXX) no longer turns off by itself on any setting. I replaced the knob but that didn''t help. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.
Hi Betty, you don't say if the unit is heating well still or not. Assuming it is, if the unit will not turn itself off in the TIMED cycle, you probably need a new timer, the piece the knob sits on. If it shuts off in the TIMED cycle but not in the AUTOMATIC cycle, you may have a sensor problem. If you can check and let me know, I can be of more help. Kelly
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The unit heats very well still.but does not turn off on the timed cycle or the automatic cycle.. One day about a year ago someone knocked the knob off, I put it back in place and from that moment on it nver turned off by itself again.. I was sure replacing the knob would fix it but it made no difference.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 years ago.

Good morning Betty. In the timed cycle, the timer motor is constantly energized and should shut off in the set time. If it does not advance, you surely have a bad timer motor. However, unless you have access to a used one, the timer motor cannot be purchased separately from the timer. A new timer will run about $65-120 depending on the model. I am sorry I don't have better news for you. A timer may be purchased online from Sears at You can put your model # XXXXX and it will find the part # XXXXX you or I would be happy to look it up for you if you have the model #. Thanks Kelly