The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Probe light wont go off

I have a GE XL44 Self Cleaning Gas Convection Oven. I''ve never used the probe and this morning the words "probe" and "bake" are flashing as if waiting to be set. The probe is not connected. And I cannot get the flashing to stop. I''ve cleared, I''ve even unplugged the oven but it keeps coming back. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
GE XL44 #183D7171G004

Ok I believe that that is the serial number I need the manufacturers model number please. It should look like this:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't find it on the stove but the manual says JGB910 or 920

Ok sorry for the delay. Had to do some reading on your unit.

What I would like you to do is first press the bake and broil/hi low buttons at the same time. Hold for at least three seconds. If that doesnt clear it the next step is to insert the baking probe, close the door and set a temprature. If it will not allow you to set a temp then the controll card has shorted and will need to be replaced.

Let me know how it turns out.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bake/Broil did not work.
Putting the probe in didn't work. It let's me set a temp for the probe but when it beeps and I remove the probe I'm back to square one. If I need to call a service person to repair this, should I need to pay for using this site? I feel bad but my problem was not solved.

You asked what you can do to solve your problem. I researched the situation and provided you the only possibilitys to resolve your situation without changing the control card of your unit.

Unfortunatly the solution I provided to you did not solve the problem. I am sorry but there are some things that I have no control over.

The only way that you are going to remidy the situation is to change the control card in the unit. If you do not have the knowlege or skills to do this then your only option would be to hire someone that does. This is something else that I have no control over. If I were there It would be different. I would change the card for you and your unit would be back up and running in short order.

If you do not think that the information I have provided to you is worth the $9.00 then that also is something I have no control over.

If you decide not to accept then I will understand, and respect your decision. Besides that I have learned something and to me that is worth much more than the commission I would recieve from your accept.

Best regards; The Home Smithy