George
George, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked at Ward's for many years...Have worked at Hobart reciently. Factory trained technician.
11175388

Agitator not working on MAytag Atlantis Washer MAV8551AWW

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

Hello E26Williams,

Thank you for using Just answer. I'm George. The other experts and I are working on your question.

Umderneath your washer is a drive belt has it come off or broke?

The big pully in the center can you turn it with a bit of resistiance in one direction? Freely the other?

The best way is to get enough clearance is to tilt the unit on a angle while you inspect it.

If you need a diagram on this unit I'll need a serial number as well.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The belt is intact and moves freely in either direction. The serial number for this unit is 25381050GG. :(
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this information helpful. Does this unit have agitator dogs?
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
Grab the tub does it spin freely in both directions. Maytag hasn't used agitator dogs in years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tub is extremely stiff. I can barely move it. The spin cycle does work during all wash cycles.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only the agitator doesn't work properly. Clothes are not getting clean and detergent is caking on clothing.
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
OK remove the softener dispenser Reference #14 Look inside the agitator is the screw/bolt Loose (ref #4) and if it is can you tighten it. If not then Remove the agitator and check for chewed plastic.graphic
George, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked at Ward's for many years...Have worked at Hobart reciently. Factory trained technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no chewed plastc. I will try tightening the bolt After work today. I get off at 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The washing machine still is not agitating. I tried to tighen the bolt that was reference but this did not resolve any issues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any more suggestions besides hiring a professional?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could the problem be the transmission? Are questions not answered after you pay?
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

E24 Williams,

First Questions are answered when you make your deposit.

The problem could be the transmission, but let's look at the simple stuff first.

Do this: With the unit empty without clothes. Fill up the unit for say a small load---When the water is satisfied it will start the motor in one direction. Lift the lid. You may have to use a small screwdriver to actuate the lid switch. You should hear or feel a slight click when you do..You should see the agitator moving and the tub staying still and not moving around.

Do you?

Second turn the unit to spin Again actuate the lid switch with a small screwdriver. You should hear or feel a slight click when you do.. The motor should reverse and the tub spins around.

Do you? Take the screwdriver out and close the lid. Does the unit spin then?

I have included a diagram of the top so you know where the lid switch is. It is reference # XXXXX Reference # XXXXX pushes on it when the lid is lowered.graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you? NO, the agitator is not moving.

The washing machine does go to the spin cycle and begins to remove the water in the basin. The spin is in a clockwise direction. Where should I go from here?

Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

E24 Williams,

What happens in the wash cycle? Is it quiet? Does the motor run?

What do you hear?

What do you see?

The more spefic you are the more I can help you. I'm not trying to insult you by any means. You are my eyes and ears there. Together we will find your answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to George's Post: During the wash cycle the washer fills appropriately and a sound as if the wash cycle and agitator are going to start running but the agitator never starts to operate. I have watch the entire cycle go until the spin starts to empty the water from the basin and the agitator does not function.
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
Customer

From what you have described to this point. Is that the motor is working in both directions. The belt is in good shape. The lid switch is good. Sounds like the brake is good. Unfornately are left with one thing --The Transmission. To replace a Transmission you need a set of specialized tools that are not avaiable to the average consumer. You do in this case need an appliance tech.

If I remember right maytag has a 5 year warranty on the part. Yet you would be left with the labor end. As well as a few misc. parts such as a seal kit. In this case it is very helpful you have your receipt when you bought the unit or can get a store copy.

Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.
Had any luck on it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No luck. This process takes to long due to different time zones. I was forced to call a technition and opted to buy a new machine. I will always buy extended warranties from here on.
Expert:  George replied 6 years ago.

Usually extended warrienteis are a good way to go... The ones at the point of sale are the cheepest. Sorry you had no luck on this one. I did check with the manufacture and ran the possibilty of bearings by them. They said the bearings were not a problem on this model and sadly said it was the transmission. Unfortuniately out of warranty.

Sorry about the different time zones, Yet we all live in different parts of this country.

Hopefully you may have something that might not be as catastrophic in the future... Take care.