Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a kenmore model XXXXXXXXXXX, 24 wide washer ...

Customer Question

I have a kenmore model XXXXXXXXXXX, 24" wide washer dryer combo. The dryer stopped heating. I replaced the heating coil and still no heat. I replaced the heat limit sensor #3404154 and still no heat. What is the problem and what part do I need to purchase?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

do you have a meter ? we need to check a few things. can you give me model # XXXXX Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , let me check your model. do you have a meter? you didnt say. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a meter, but the machine is very hard to get to because it is in our closet. I have to lay it face down on the floor to get to the back and it makes a lot of noise if I turn it on in that position. I do not want to damage it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
dont turn it on when its laying down. this could be though. I'll be back in a few minutes, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well you replaced the thermostat on heater, can you check power going to dryer you must have 220volts for dryer to heat. it can still turn on 110 volts and not heat. I think thats your problem, let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: I will try, but to turn on and check voltage, I have to lay it on the front and turn on. I will try quickly and then turn off. Be back in a few! I know there is 220 going into the dryer, but I will check at the heater.

OK< I have 220 going into back of dryer. The connector on each part of the heater coil registers as 110 when touched to ground. Nothing registers when I touch the two poles on the heater, even when I turn on the dryer, I would think they should show 220 when on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it would be 220. your missing a line to heater. it starting to sound like timer but I'm not sure yet . its hard to diagnose they way you have to lay it down. you can check other thermostat on the blower asm. thats the round part where they blower is . take wires off and check for continuity across 1/4" connectors ( unplug dryer first!!) let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: OK be right back

I checked both sets of connectors and the continuity is there for both pairs after I removed the wires as well as with the wires connected.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok then theres no relays in this dryer that I can find. so we are down to either timer, heat selector switch (dont know if you have one) or bad wire somewhere. thats all that I can come up with without being there. if you think I've done a good job answering your questions please press accept. please leave feedback its helps rate our performance. thanks again Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thank you , there is one more thing that cuold be going on in your dryer , you may have a bad switch in motor. its sends power to heater when motor is running you can look at wiring diagram to see whitch one comes from motor. thanks again Bryan