Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE gas range. The oven does not heat properly.

Customer Question

I have a GE gas range. The oven does not heat properly. I''ve replaced the sensor already. The digital control indicates the temp rises from cold to 400°f in about 1 minute.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan , you probably have a bad erc (electronic range control) can you give me model # ? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bryan, the range is model JGSP21GER2WH. When I removed the sensor (and replaced it), there was a piece of burned & melted wire stuck to the external end of the sensor, behind the mounting flange. It was definitely *not* one of the sensor wires, nor was it one of the oven light wires ('cause the light still works!)

Is it possibly the ignitor/glow plug? How might I test that?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
hi I'm back. well it could be a wire that runs to ignitor . can you see where wire goes? I would try to get stove out a bit (be carefull make sure gas is off) take back off oven and find where this wire goes . you can see wiring from back . replace wire or if theres enough wire cut out bad part and splice it back together and try it. let me know. thanks again Bryan , feedback is welcome and appreciated. thanks again