Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my ge side by side model # XXXXX is making a clicking ...

my ge side by side model # XXXXX is making a clicking noise niether the water or the ice maker are working ..the sound seems to be coming from the back.........please help with a diag''..judy
it sounds like you need a new compressor relay. is it starting to warm up ? if you take cover off back of ref. down bottom and you will see the compressor its a big black round ball type looking thing. there is a fan back there make sure thats running also. see if clicking is comming from compressor. if it is you need relay . click on this and you can find your relay. hope this helped, if your happy with answer please click accept. feedback is welcome and encourage. thanks agian Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this doesnt seem to address the no ice or water issue(there is ice in the freezer)...but dispenser does not function (tho little green lights are on)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
upon further review we found that the freezer is starting to thaw(that's why we paid you)..our orignal question also asks about the no water or ice function, tho the panel has power with green does this apply to compressor relay?

ok do you have a water filter? maybe it needs changing if you do. I was more concerned about clicking niose at the time i told to check compressor because i didnt want your ref. to go bad. you may have had a power surge that caused more than one problem. I have to go out till around 6 pm but when i return we will look at ice/water issue. thank you and talk to you this evening, Bryan

ok I'm back , you may need a water valve in your ref. its hard to say . when did you start having problems with ice and water? let me check something. do you hear the clicking on right side back of ref. behind a cover that has three 1/4" screws holding cover on? thats where your control board is .take that cover off and tell me if thats where clicking is comming may have a bad control board if it is. that controls everything in ref. including ice/water. let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
brian....I'll let you know tomorrow morning....we shut the fridge down.....
,,,,,,,,,*important   we did have a power surge when things started going bad

also.....if it is in the control board.....would that stop it from cooling?....thanks judy
theres a number of things that can make it not cool , when you get back to me we can go over them, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
clicking is coming from contol panel
......could this be causing the no cool?
......(fridge did not defost alot of water at all)
...(recently replaced defrost heater myself)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should i order a control panel and a ptcrwr07x10025 i assume that is the compressor relay... and a overloadwr08x10026 ...also possibly a door switch (cant find part #) ..also (water valve)????????
.....i will settle fairly with you.....judy
ok dont order compressor relay its the board. what you hear is relays on the main control board clicking. if this board is bad which I now know is it will effect the whole ref. including cooling , icemaker, and water, you shouldnt need water valve either , if you get a control board it should take care of all your problems.the only part you should oreder is part # XXXXX thats g.e. #. thanks for using just answer, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
   sounds good.i'll let you know if it doesn't fix it.
ok, just let me know. I'm pretty confident its going to work, I've seen that before. thanks again Bryan