Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE Profile refrigerators ice maker is pouring water out ...

Customer Question

My GE Profile refrigerators ice maker is pouring water out onto the kitchen floor whenever water is turned on to fill a glass and possibly also whenever the ice making device is being filled. There is no ice in the bin, now. Is it likely there is something plugged up??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

are you turning water off behind ref. and then turning water back on to get water out of dispenser? or is your water on in back all the time and just when you go to fill glass it pours out ? where does water pour out from? inside freezer,or on floor from underneath?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not turning water on/off behind refrig. Water on all the time in back. Water pours only when filling a glass at the front of the refrig. I cannot see water in the freezer, just on the floor in the front to the right underneath.

With the freezer door open so that I can see the icemaker and I turn on the water switch on the door I do not see where the water is coming from but there appears a puddle on the floor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok you probably have a cracked water line behind the kick panel in front bottom of far I can tell from what your telling me. can you remove the bottom plastic grill and see behind it? your problem might be one of the connectors where water line comes up ino freezer door. as far as the ice maker goes look at back of ice maker and where the tube comes into ice maker from back of freezer make sure its not frozen with ice. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Looking behind the kick panel I see the plastic tube feeding the water line to the door. It appears dry at the connectors that I can see. However, you may be right about that tube being cracked behind where I cannot see.

It is not clear where the tube comes into the icemaker from the back of the freezer compartment. Is there a way to pull out the icemaker without shutting down the freezer and defrosting everything in it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
yes. can you give me model# XXXXX i can look up best way to proceed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is model # XXXXX It must be 10 yrs or so old.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
yea I understand the older they get the more likely to leak. unfortunately they use plastic water lines which degrade with time, I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok click on this its got the best views on your ref, your ice maker is in back thats why its hard to see tube. the tube is on right side back in your freezer, remove auger asm. and you might have a better look. if not you may have to remove ice maker to get at it. there should be three screws holding it in two on top one on bottom of ice maker . as far as the leak its probably the one that runs under ref. to front. you should be able to find how it runs and just get a new piece of plastic hose for it at lowes. you have to get new connectors with it. hope this helps you , feedback is important and appreciated.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Bryan,

Thats very helpful. I will get on it tomorrow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
okay thak you, have a good day . Bryan