Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My side by side refrigerator keeps the freezer side at zero ...

My side by side refrigerator keeps the freezer side at zero or close and the refrigerator stays at 50 degrees and the unit seems to run all the time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it sounds like you have a defrost problem, look real good at back panel in freezer section ( you may have to remove food) and tell me if you see any frost on panel at all, also can you give me make and model #. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is some frost on the lower back panel of the freezer section.
It is a Fridgedaire
Model K5FS25FJBL00
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok more than likely you have a bad defrost thermostat or bad defrost timer. let me look that up for you , I,ll be right back Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am just waiting for Bryan to get back to me, no hurry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The refrigerator is a Kitchen Aid Sorry.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
your model # XXXXX XXXXX up kitchen aid ref.  you can click on this link www.pcappliancerepair.com and look up parts and diagrams for your ref. you are probably going to need either defrost thermostat defrost control or heater, if you have a meter I can tell you how to check heater and thermostat but if its not one of those two you may want to call a tech. in to check electronics because these parts are very expensive and you don't want to make a mistake on that. let me know if you have meter. you can press accept if my answers are alright , you can still come back at no charge after that and continue with diagnoses as long as you don't close question, thank you and I'll talk to you soon. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok are you home now? Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok the first thing you have to do is take panel off back of freezer section , heres where you will see alot of ice I'll bet on the coils, dont defrost yet. get back to me after panels off. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can see ice on coils through a grill in the lower section of the panels inside the freezer section. Have not got the panels off yet.
The rear out side panel is a big galvanized sheet
that covers both sections of the refrigerator.
I have to get a socket to get the screws out of the inside freezer panels. This will not take long.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok I'm here let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got the inside panel off in one piece and there is ice all over the coils. 6.5 mm socket. One other thing, I keep the ice maker off when the bin is full, if that makes any difference.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no that doesn't matter, ok do you know how to check continuity with your meter? we want to check defrost thermostat first, defrost thermostat is located on top of coils( may be hard to see covered with frost perhaps) by the way unplug ref. now. then let me know if you find it. its a round silver part with two wires coming out , Brayn
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is continuity between the red and white wires, but not the green to the white or red terminals. This is all I can get to right now, because of the ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok well this is the hardest part to test because we have to test it while its cold to see if theres continuity, thats how it works, when its cold it sends power to heater and when its defrosted it opens and doesnt let power through. can you unplug the thermostat, ? there should be two little round plugs one one each wire. one goes to heater and one to power.if you can unplug test just wires going to thermostat.let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All I can see is one long round plug with a white wire going in and a black wire going out.
I think there is another one in the frost but I cannot dig it out yet.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok try not to hit coils with anything! if you can get wires loose and not warm thermostat up then you can test it, if it gets to warm you wont know if its working. be carefull. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are no other wires that I can find in the ice. If the thermostat is a round silver thing, it is still almost covered with ice, but the wires, all of them , except that black and white one, go back to a square plug, with about 9 holes for the wires.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay good. can you unplug square plug, put leads in the two holes where the wires from thermostat go into it , tell if you get continuity . if not its bad and thats your problem. let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I have to reply to this to get back to your answer page. Everything is still melting, but slowly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
see if you can unplug the plug. did you get my last reply ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not been able to unplug the plug yet. It has two clips that hold it but I cannot squeeze them and get it out. I received your last reply.
But is the round silver thing the thermostat?
Will keep trying the plug.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you dont have any luck testing thermostat I would just go ahead and replace it , its probably bad anyway. what I would do is defrost the rest of freezer with hair dryer and put it back together and it will run fine for a couple or three weeks before it freezes back up again, in the meantime order thermostat and when it comes in replace it. and see how it runs. one more thing when your done defrosting it check heater visually and make sure its not burnt anywhere , the heat runs down under and back up on both sides,( looks like a bake element in oven) you can test continuity on this also if you can unplug it. let me know Bryan( p.s. if i helped you please press accept you can still come back and ask me more questions if needed) thanks bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes the round silver thing is thermostat , it clips on coils on top. thanks Bryan