Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Both the top burners and stove element stopped working ...

Both the top burners and stove element stopped working yesterday on our Maytag Ceran Top Model #MER5770AAQ. Could this be a fuse or is it something else? The clock still works and the light comes on to say the oven is pre-heating, but it doesn''t heat up.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I dont know of any use in the oven , did you say bake element doesnt work either? if so its sounds like you have a bad wire in back. does other top burners work? does broil work? let me know Bryan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Yes, the bake element doesn't work and the stove top burners.
Not sure about the broiler -- I can check later today and get back to you.   
If it's a bad wire how difficult is that to find and fix?
Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well that depends on where it is, usually not to bad though, let me know.. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: The broiler does not work either.
So you think it's probably a wire since there are no fuses?
Thanks, Rob
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

more than likely , do any of top burners work? do you have a meter? you definately have a power problem somewhere . let me know Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of the top burners work -- the lights don't even come on to show that the burners are turned on. Clock/dispaly works and light indicates that the oven is prehaeating, but doesn't heat up at all.
I don't have a meter.
My neighbor might.
I'll take the back off, but I'm a true novice when it comes to appliances and electrical.
Will probably have to call for service.
Rob
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
give me a little time have to go do a job . I'll get back to you in about an hour. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Thanks I'll check back later this evening.
Rob
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I'm back , did you find anything in back of oven? by the way did you get a meter ? . one more thing do you have breakers or fuses in your home? let me know because your clock will light up but since your whole stove burners and bake / broil don't work I'll bet your not getting 220volts only 110volts , your clock will work on 110volts but nothing else will. its definately power problem. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have breakers and I checked those.
Too busy last night to check the back.
Hopefully this evening I'll get a chance.
It needs to get fixed soon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes please come back this evening and i'll try to continue to assist you ,bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan.
I appreciate your help.
Most likely I'll have a tech like you make the repair. Would you have a ballpark idea what it would be to replace a bad wire? We live in rural part of Massachusetts.   
Rob
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
hey Rob i'm finally home . funny thing I was born and raised in ma. bellingham if you know where it is. I realy dont know what there getting for service call up there anymore.but they shouldnt charge you hardly anything for a piece of wire , if that turns out to be the problem. did you get a meter? I can tell you how to check some things. by the way is your house an old house? if it is and you had wiring done over if they didnt replace the wire to stove there may be a sub box somewhere in line that may have a blown fuse. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan,
Sorry I didn't get back to you over the weekend. Yes, I know where Bellingham is.
How long have you been in Tennessee?
What I found on the stove: Took the small panel off where the 4-prong main cord connects to the back of the stove -- the red wire must have fried from a power surge -- it was completely disconnected. Also the black strip connector was cracked where the red wire connects to the smaller wires. Our house was built new just over 5 years ago, so no old wiring. The stove is on it's own double breaker on the main electrical panel. I bought a new main cord and still need to get a new black connector/separator at the appliance store.
Any other advice or concerns you might have would be helpful. Would a power surge from a lightening storm cause the wire to fry?
Thanks again,
Rob
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
definately ., power surges causes that alot.I'm glad you found it I had a feeling you had a wire burnt. i was waiting for you to let me know, thats great ,what you need is called main power terminal block . ive been in tennessee for about 6 years. i miss the ocean though we lived on cape cod the last 5 years before moving here. well I hope you get everything fixed ok. you can ask more questions if you need. please press accept if i've help you. feed back is very important and helps rate experts please leave some if you have time. thanks again , bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan,
The new 4-prong cord looks a bit smaller in diameter -- is that OK?   
Also, for my own future reference -- could a power surge that does that to a big wire cause a fire?
We usually get to the Cape a few times a year and also family vacation every August on Martha's Vineyard, which is very relaxing.
Your help has been great! My wife wants to be able to cook again.
Rob