Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a 1999 Kenmore model 79142 bottom freezer ...

Customer Question

We have a 1999 Kenmore model 79142 bottom freezer refrigerator...The frozen foods seem fine, but the refrigerator is at 63 degrees...There is frost in the back of the freezer...I can hear a fan running, but there is no cool air coming out of the vent above the refrigerator temperature control...What do you think is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you are having a defrost problem, more than likely given the model you have a bad defrost thermostat. it could also be heater but more often thermostat. i dont think you have enough numbers in model # XXXXX inside ref. section see if you can find more numbers. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found the model number - 596.79142990
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay give me a few minutes , Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok - I'll stay online
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay you have a mechanical defrost timer in your ref. that could also be the problem . first things first. you have to remove rear panel in freezer and get it defrosted with hair dryer. dont use screwdriver or anything sharp. just let hair dryer do it . once thats done we can find out why its not defrosting , leave back panel off when done and I'll help you figure it out. let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok...I'll be back....All this for $15???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I unplug the fridge first?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes unplug ref. get back to me when you have it apart. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I seem to be defrosted...Is the panel you're talking about inside of the freezer or on the back of the refrigerator unit?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry inside freezer back panel. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the back panel off ( I had to remove the ice maker)...A ton of frost....I'll defrost all this & let you know when I'm done, ok?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thats what I thought you would find . get back to me. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - all defrosted..
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok now the fun begins. do you see a thermostat on the top of coils it has two wires comming out of it? thats your defrost thermostat. does it look like its poping open? if so its bad. do you have a meter ? let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see the thermostat...It's clipped to the coil & has brown & orange wires coming out the bottom. I don't have a meter, and I can't really tell if it's popped open....Is it cylindrical, about 1 inch by 1 inch?

I do have a voltage meter.......
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes it is , ok no meter that makes it harder, do you see heater it looks like an oven element it goesdown around coils and underneath and back up other side? see if it is burnt or broken anywhere. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The element looks fine...no burned areas or breaks that I can see....
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay its either timer or thermostat , probably thermostat though usually is. do you have a place close to you that sells appliance parts. if you put ref. back together it will work for two to three weeks before it freezes up again. so you have time to order online if you like. let me know Bryan. P.S feedback is appreciated . thanks again Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Bryan! You've been a HUGE help!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
let me know if theres anything else i can do, I'd replace thermostat when you get a chance I think that will fix it. if it does'nt change defrost timer its not that much and is the only other thing besides heater that would cause that. if you need to look up parts click this link www.repairclinic.com and you can order parts or just look them up. thanks again Bryan, p.s. feedback realy helps, thanks again .