Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Coils in freezer are icing over which stops the freezer ...

Customer Question

Coils in freezer are icing over which stops the freezer from cooling. Have defrosted it 4 times but it continues to freeze over. Have cleaned under fridge, but it is built in to the wall and do not have access to the back.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you give me model and serial # ? Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Amana Distinction
drb 1801
drb 2101
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay you have one of three problems, it could be defrost thermostat, defrost timer, or defrost heater,. i would guess either thermostat or timer, heaters dont go that often , go to www.repairclinic.com and you will see parts . let me know , do you have a meter? do you know how to use one? I'll wait for answer thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to have a pro fix it right?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
depends on how handy you are, thermostat is not hard to replace, everything plugs in you just have to know which one is bad , are you mechanically inclined?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to have a pro fix it right? What kind of meter my husband may have one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like a personal question. Ha Ha. My husband is an ex carpenter. I looked at the parts you mentioned. The issue is pulling the fridge out. I am assuming these parts are in the back?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is a freezer evaporator fan motor. That sounds like what I need. Because the freezer after defrosting will start to freeze in a few days.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
no most off the parts are in freezer section inside . the timer is usually in ref. section I'll look that up for you. the evaporator fan is the fan in the freezer and blows cold air into ref. section to cool it. is fan running? Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fan is running. The freezer is working fine, but the ice blocks the coils it and eventually it warms up.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
definately defrost problem . the thermostat and heater are in freezer section , hers the bad news defrost timer is in back! I think its your thermostat though, common part to fail. hope this helps Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I will hope it is the thermostat. Can you get these at an appliance store that sells Amana's or do I have to get them online. Lastly to access the thermostat we just remove the freezer panel inside correct?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

yes . it will be on top of coils if you look at picture you will see its a little round silver thing with two wires on it . you can get one at most appliance parts stores , around $15.00 good luck and thanks Bryan , p.s. feedback is appreciated, thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if your happy with my help please press accept, if you need anything else just ask. thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you I hope this works!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
me too thanks Bryan