The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My Kenmore Elite model # XXXXX is not making ice and ...

Customer Question

My Kenmore Elite model # XXXXX is not making ice and the red button next to the on/off switch keeps flashing. What does this mean? I had a tech come out and he really didn''t know what it was and had made a few phone calls. Then he told me that the fiber optic sensor was bad and it would cost $300.00 for part and that usually you will have to replace the ice maker as well and that is $300.00 for that part. Does this sound correct to you? He didn''t even check to see if it was something else first. Let me know what you think could be the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Please retype your model number it was Xed out by the server (a small bug in the system).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
10653606201
Ok thank you. I will look this up and reply shortly.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: 10653606201
Ok I am going to need the model number of the ice maker also. There is more than one type that they installed in this unit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where do I find that serial #? I looked on the inside and didn't find it. It sits on the door. It says it is a spacesaver ice storage system. Does that help?

Ok Space saver might help I will look into that.

You say it rests on the door. Do you mean that the whole icemaker is attached to the door? Is any part of it attached to the left side of the freezer?

If not then is this something that is incorporated into the door or is it something that looks like it has been added or attached as an aftermarket item.

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The ice make sits on the top shelf and the ice falls into the ice holder in the door. When you open the freezer door the top shelf has a latch on the side that you can press and open another little door. Then when you open that you are looking at the ice maker which has a bunch of slots.

Ok now that will help for sure. Ill see if I have something that matches that description in my manuals. I believe I do but will have to browse through all of them to find it. Well at least that is what Mr. Murphy says about looking for something. Its always the last box or crate that you look in where you find it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Have you found out anything?

Ok Nikki;

Sorry for the delay Ive been a bit under the weather as of late.

I am uploading a couple manuals for you to look at and see if they match your unit or not. It will take about 20 minuites to do the uploading.

Another expert had a suggestion about your unit also but I lost the email. I will contact him and ask that he resend the information.

.

Ok here is the first manual please let me know if the units it covers are like yours or not. If not Ill upload the next one.

You can get it by clicking here

Select free download and save the .pdf file to your hard drive.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is not the same ice maker I have. Similar, but there is no arm in front only a door.

Ok Nikki That leaves this one. Im pretty sure that it is the one you need. Starting on page 5-2 is a diagnostic flow chart and proceedures for testing the unit. It is simple and easy to do but you will want to print the directions so you can have them close at hand while doing the proceedures.

You can get the manual by clicking here.

Of course if this isnt the correct manual please let me know. If it is then the diagnostics are easy to follow and do not require any special tools. A screwdriver or two is all that is required to replace ant defective parts.

Im sorry that it took so long to get this far but there are just some things that must be done the hard way at times. But the best part of doing it the hard way is you never forget them.

Thank you for your patience. You are one of a very few that would still be here trying. Most just say the heck with it and give up. Your persistence is admirable.

If this works for you I believe you know where the accept button is. Bonuses are always appreciated if you feel they are warrented.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted, please be sure to leave feedback. Thank you.

P.S. The tech is full of ....... well, you know. You might want to let his superiors know of his incompetence.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. I have a new problem. I followed the repair manual and did some stuff and found out that my fiber optics were not bad like the tech said. I pulled out the line and made sure it wasn't blocked and put it all back together and now the ice maker is making ice but doing it only like once a day. Do you know what would cause that. Also, when I pulled the line out they had taped to the water line inside the fridge two wires that had some sensor on it. I could not find this in the manual you sent me, do you know what that is for? Please help! We almost have it fixed.

No no idea. I looked in the manual but didnt find anything. Is the sensor hooked into the ice maker?

Try lowering the freezer temprature and see if production goes up. If it stays the same the best I can suggest is to run the diagnostics flow chart again and see if anything shows up. The tests are very finicky so you must be carefull that the exact proceedure is followed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No the sensor runs down the back of the fridge and hooks up to some wires.
If it hooks up to something else then it isnt going to have anything to do with the ice maker. Most likely they just used the tube t route it where it needed to be is all.