Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an amana top refridge /bottom freezer- model number ...

I have an amana top refridge /bottom freezer- model number BZ20Qw and the freezer is working but the fridge is not staying cool like usual. I cleaned out underneath (hair,fuzzy''s, dust etc.)as was suggested one other time and it straightened it out but now it isnt.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you may have a defrost problem, look in the freezer section and tell me if you see any frost on back panel? you should remove food to get a good look . check good. let me know Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just checked and yes there is frost on the back panel inside the freezer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well you have a defrost problem, the way to temporaly fix is to take back panel off freezer section and defrost it with hair dryer (never pick at ice with anything let hair dryer do it) when all ice is gone put back together and it will run okay for a couple of weeks, for checking defrost system you will need a meter and know how to test with it. depends on ref. diffirent things go bad , it could be timer/defrost thermostat/ or defrost heater. let me know if you can test. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the only panel I see on there is black - long and tall to the left on the back of fridge. About 24-26 inches long / vertical it is. Would that be it?
The other panel is along the bottom that has the filter like material on it- where i went in to see the fan, coils, etc to clean out cobb webs ect on sunday when we noticed it being warmer.
I did notcie the pan underneath was very dry when doing this and thought to myself maybe its not defrosting.
I dont know how to test or what kind of meter. is that something you will talk me thru when needed?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I meant inside freezer you have to take shelfs , drawer , ect, and remove the whole back panel inside freezer, thats where frost is. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok took everything out but not sure how to pop the panel out. would you know that? I dont want to break anything. ..is it something that just pops off or I may have to undo some small srews??
or if I cant get the panel off for some reason,is it something where if I let the fridge set unplugged it will defrost itself and then have the same result as popping off the back just a longer process of wating?Sorry so many questions - you are dealing with a dumb ole girl here..(old girl that is)
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes unplugging it will do same but take longer , probably over night i geuss, leave freezer door open for better results, problem is your freezer will do same thing in about two to three weeks. I would call tech. to get repaired correctly. hope this helps. Bryan. P.S feedback is always welcome. thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you sooooo much. I now have the back panel off and there is LOTS of ice in there..going to do the hairdryer trick you said and see whats what....that will at least hold me over till I can get a tech out here to look at why its doing it. was trying to avoid any cost really as am a single wrking mom of a special needs kid here..you know not many $$'s to spare in my budget...
I appreciate so much the help you have given me today to get me this far so I will have a fridge for a couple or at least a week till I get some help for the bigger problem.I will now click accept and give you a big thumbs up! feel free to share that comment with everyone.thanks again Bryan!
Debbie