Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

why would the refiderator not be working, when the frezzer ...

why would the refiderator not be working, when the frezzer is. do i need to connect the ice maker water line to the refiderator to get the refiderator to get cold?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you tell me what kind of ref. it is, is it a side by side or freezer on top, make and model would help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
a whirlpool side by side model# XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
okay how long has it been doing this? look in freezer section behind food at back panel, do you see any frost on panel. look good, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well i just bought it and it has been turn off for a few months, there is a little frost on back panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
it sounds like you have a defrost problem, if you can take back panel off freezer and see if theres allot of frost on coils, if there is take a hair dryer and defrost it all , plug back in and alow time for it to get cold again, may take 8 or ten hours to realy get cold again, set your setting at about half way on both, let me know okay? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there wasn't any frost on the coil i have had i pluged in for about 7 hours with the settings set on high.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
okay thats different, do you hear any clicking or buzzing in rear of ref. near the compressor? do you know what the temp. is in freezer? are the fans running both inside and in back of ref. did you remove doors when you moved ref. ? I'm asking these questions so I can get an idea whats going on. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is not any noise from the back of the ref. the fans are running, the frezzer is very cold, i did remove the doors when i moved it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
okay did you put all the shims back in right, sounds to me like your lights are staying on when door is shut. is your light switch on the top when you close ref. door? sometimes door is not high enough to hit the switch and turn light off. this will cause ref. to stay at 60-70 degrees. check that. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the lights are turning off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sorry lost satilite signal last night was offline due to storm clouds. give me time to have coffee and we figure it out. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I want to have you check a few other things, I begining to think you have an air flow problem. if freezer is working great but ref. isnt this means your compressor is fine , thats good news, you have a damper in ref. that lets air flow between freezer and ref. I believe this is where your problem must be. do you feel any cold air flowing from freezer to ref. at all? there is vents in back of ref, section that should have cold air coming through. if not your dampers not opening. you have to take inside ref. section appart to find damper, it should be upper left corner of ref.. there will be a hole going into freezer from ref. thats where damper should be. I'm going to look up now, I'll be back . Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ypur ref. has an air inlet deffuser which lets the cold air from freezer to ref. I think this is where your trouble is. go to www.pcappliancerepair.com and you can bring up diagrams of your ref. look at it and you will see where the part is located. you have to find out why its not opening that should solve your problem. thanks Bryan