MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

My Electric dryer was on and working and just quit, ...

Customer Question

My Electric dryer was on and working and just quit, Now its dead and the dryer will not come on, no power, circuit breaker is good and there is 220v power to dryer plug, 10 year old Kenmore Dryer ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

If you turn the dryer on, put your ear up to the timer, can you hear any noise?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: 27" Sears Kenmore Elite bought in 2000, Model # XXXXX Dryer will not come on,with breaker on there is no noise coming from the timer,nothing is working on the dryer ? Thanks
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like a common issue with these dryers. If your vents need cleaning, there is a fuse that will kick on the dryer to prevent a fire.

On the diagram below number 59 is your thermal fuse. This is a non resettable fuse, that when its kicked, it needs replace. You can check to see if this is your problem very simply. Just take the two wires that go to (the only white fuse with two wires) the thermal fuse and hook the wires together. Make sure they are not touching anything else, now start the dryer. If it starts, your thermal fuse needs replaced and your vents need cleaned, including the internal vents in the dryer.

If the dryer doesn't start, then you need to investigate the wiring to the dryer including the cord. You may have a power issue, burnt wire end on the cord, bad breaker.

Look for discoloration on the prongs on the dryer cord.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out further.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: I do not see Diag # XXXXX on the Diagram you sent me or either I am Overlooking It ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I now see # XXXXX , It was Real Small Thanks
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

If you remove the lower panel to the dryer, it is behind that panel. It should sit on top of the venting under the drum. Grab a flashlight, it can be tricky to get to. It is accessible from the front. It is white and has two wires going to it.

Let me know if you are stil having trouble with this. I will do my best to help you.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the thermal switch and it was OK, But Found Out the Drive Belt Was Broken,I bought the replacement belt but when I put it over the drum and over the motor pully and the broken belt pully switch, there seams to be too much slack, Do you have a picture or drawing on how to thread the drive belt on hte pully,s correctly ?
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Give me a minute and I will dig something up for you. You don't need to post a seperate question for this.

Thanks,

Bill

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Here you go. This is how the belt goes aroud the pulley. This image would be if you are looking at it from the back. To get the new belt on, you will have to remove the whole front panel of the machine. Once you get the front panel off, pull the tub out and make sure the idler pulley and its spring are connected.

This image may have a different style idler pulley, but it still goes around the same way.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this. I will be more than happy to help you out further.

Thanks Again,

Bill