MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN It is ...

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Refrigerator Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN It is starting to leak water onto the floor. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Where is the water coming from, the front, back?

Small amout, consistantly?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Bill,

We notice it when we get up in the morning. By that time we notice water to the right of the refrigerator as I am standing in front of it. This is enough to soak up a small towel (1 1/2 x 2 foot.

Oddly enough we do not seem to see it during the day, and it appears inconsistent. Also, I just pushed the refrigerator out of where it is, and I just noticed a little water towards the front of the fridge.

We cleaned the condensor below.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like the water could be from the icemaker system. This could explain the inconsistant, relatively small amout. The water would more than likely be coming from the line that runs up the back of the fridge to feed the icemaker. If the line is freezing up inside the freezer, the pressure when the icemaker fills would leak out the line because it cannot take pressure.

A couple more possibilities could be from the defrost system. Everytime the system defrosts water from the freezer runs to a pan down by the compressor, then evaporates. If there is a hole in the pan, it would leak. Inconsistantly and relatively a small amount. Or the drain line in the freezer could be plugged. But you would notice the ice building up on the floor of the freezer.

Give these couple things a look. If you have anymore questions about this, please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill,

- The refrigerator does not have an icemaker
- The refrigerator does not have a pan below the condensor. I have theparts list and it does not show a pan.
- There is no ice build up at the bottom of the freezer.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

From the factory your machine should have come with an icemaker. This link is the diagram for your machine. Your machine was built by GE, for sears. That is the reason a GE machine is labeled kenmore.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/retrieveSubComponentPartsAction.action?diagramPageId=00003&componentDescription=CABINET&documentId=10035005&modelNumber=3639642814&productCategoryId=0166000&brandId=0582&modelName=RE FRIGERATOR&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components#diagram

The defrost pan for this machine is built into the pan the compressor sits on. In the back down by the compressor, look for the black hose that comes from the freezer compartment. It could be possible the pan developed a hole, for any number of reasons. From anything to moving the machine, to a mouse chewing a hole into it.

The water could be coming from the fridge compartment also. This will happen if the drain line in the freezer for the defrost water is plugged. If this is the cause you should notice ice build up in the bottom part of the freezer.

A bad door gasket will also cause moisture to leak from the fridge. But not that much.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bill,

We never hooked up any water supply to the refrigerator. I do not see anything like an ice maker in the freezer section, and it says in the back of the freezer that it would take ice maker kit 8390. I also see the fitting wear I would connect my water up to if I had an ice maker.

Looking at your other suggestions, I see in the back of refrigerator a plastic piece that is part WR0X8504 (0315) Grommet and Tube Drain, connecting to the tube which drains into the pan. I took the tube off and just to see if the drain was clogged, I blew air into the thing. Maybe that did something I don't know. After I did it there seemed to be more drips coming out of it. Also, I think when I replaced the tube onto the drain I think I have it attached a little better then before.

If there is a hole in the pan that I am stumped. I think the part for the pan is WR17X3759 (0751) Unimount High Side Asm), but I have no idea how I could remove it or replace it. Is it a big deal?
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Well, it is a process to remove the pan. Blowing through the hose was good. Reconnecting it better than it was before is also good.

This may have very well solved the issue. If not I would be looking at the pan. Not a whole lot of water comes out of that tube. You could catch the water in something creative and avoid alot of time and headache. I believe you are on the right track now as far as getting to the bottom of the leak. If a couple days go by and no water, great.

If you are still getting water, let me know and we can dig deeper. Thanks for your patience and Good Luck.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Bill, I will let you know.

Lou