Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 3 year old side by side Frigidaire refrigerator ...

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old side by side Frigidaire refrigerator that in the past 6 months has lost its ability to keep cool on the refrigeration side 3 times. It will go lukewarm up to 60-70 degrees. An expensive service tech couldn't determine anything wrong with it. He suggested I unplug it for an hour and replug it in. This seems to work. The freezer side works fine. Is it a thermostat issue? I something freezing up that when unplugged melts and resets itself? How can I prevent it from happening again? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi this is Bryan . thanks for requesting me, can you tell me what make ref. is ? I'll be glad to help. Thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Frigidaire Classic Series side by side
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay I'm sorry I didnt see make at first, do you see alot of ice on rear panel of freezer section? can you give me model #. I will see what you have for defrost system in it. It very well could be a defrost problem . did you pay a tech. to come look at it or did you just talk to someone? we will get to the bottom of this, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model # XXXXX   I pulled off the panel to the coil area and it is free from frost...just a tad amount, barely noticeable. I paid a tech $136 on a Sunday afternoon in January. I was very dissappointed. Thru the past 6 months I have shut the auto ice maker off when the bin has filled up and restarted it when the ice diminished. I think this may have helped rather than have the ice maker run continuously without ever shutting off. Thank you for your help. I would like a permanent solution. My wife wanted me to go buy a brand new one. This one is only 3 years old!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay let me look up model and i'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you check model # XXXXX cant find that model anywhere. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
FR526H7C or maybe it is FRS26H7CBO
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
let me try that, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: It is an S instead of a 5.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
that works. do me a favor, open ref. door and push light switch in and see if light goes off. I dont know how many times I've found light dosnt go off when door is closed, that will cause ref. to warm up to 60-70- degrees . have you moved ref. or taken doors off for some reason lately? sometimes not enough shims get put back on hinges and door hangs wrong sometimes light stays on when shut. let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It goes off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
make sure it goes off when shutting door. did you say freezer is working good? just ref. isnt? Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: Freezer works fine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay I have a feeling its your electronic damper control. thats the flap that opens and closes to let cold air into ref. section from freezer, I'm not sure location on your ref. . cant bring up diagram but it will be in ref. section in back probably corner closest to freezer . you may have to take cover off rear of inside ref. section . I'm including link you can go to see part. www.repairclinic.com put your model # XXXXX and it will bring up parts list with picture . let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: So,what is happening when the electric is cut off and replugged later. Is one of these devices thawing out and resetting or what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well more or less the control board resets damper and it opens , I would take cover off rear of ref. controls and see if damper is open letting air into ref. you may have to hold light button in to see if it opens. it shuts when door is opened. let me know Bryan