MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

My parents Sears refridgerator is not cooling. We just ...

My parents Sears refridgerator is not cooling. We just noticed the fridge part is at 48 degrees. The lights are on and we cannot hear any fan or compressor running - even when we turn the thermostats up and down. We have tried unplugging and plugging it in again - no help. All the connections look good underneath.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to the machine?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: 106.72852101
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
more info.... My Dad tells me that in the past (as recent as 10 days ago) the refridgerator would make a loud knocking sound. Sounds like someone is at the door. What could that be?

even more info... after we cleaned all the dust out and pushed it back into place, it seems like it is running again now. What could be an intermittent problem causing this?

It sounds like your defrost timer may be stuck in defrost. There is a dial that sits under the controls in the fridge compartment. Poke your head in the fridge compartment and look up. You will see a little dial inside one of the holes on the bottom of the control area.

Number four in the diagram below is the defrost timer. It works like a clock, every eight hours the machine shuts off and goes into defrost for about 30 minutes, then back to getting cold again for another eight hours. It sounds like, if you can't hear the compressor or fan, that the timer is stuck in defrost mode. Reach in the hole with a flat screwdriver and turn the dial on the timer clockwise.

If the machine starts back up, bad timer.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the hole but haven't had to use it yet - it's still seems to be running, and slowly cooling down. Any comments about the knocking sound that had been going on? The refridgerator is almost 6 years old

The noise sounds like the compressor may be damaged. This is a common occurance with these machines. The noise is more than likely the supports inside the compressor that hold the motor. If one of the rubber supports break, the compressor will bang everytime it starts and stops. The only way to fix this issue is to replace the compressor.

As far as how long this will work, I could run like this10 years, or it could stop tommorrow. This kenmore fridge is made by whirlpool. I am sure of what i'm telling you because I have seen this enough on this model fridge to know how common it is.

Bill