MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

I have a Maytag 9100 dishwasher. The touch controls ...

I have a Maytag 9100 dishwasher. The touch controls on the front do not work or they work intermittently. The unit is definitely getting power.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

Thanks for using!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Hi Bill. It is a Maytag MDB7100 that is eight years old.

Stopped working, definitely is getting ac power.

I got it to run one more time by wiggling the switch and pressing hard on the door. Seems to be either the switch or the controls.

Will not work right now.

Tying to determine how expensive a fix it might be and if I should be repairing or replacing the unit.

It almost sounds like there may be an issue with the door latch switches. If the machine doesn't think the door is closed, the machine will not start.

One of the switches in the door latch may be out of place or defective. I would look into this before ordering any parts or anything. There should be two switches on the door latch assembly.

There are a series of screws around the perimeter of the inner door liner. Take out these screws and you will be about to access the internal parts of the door. Give the switches a look and check for anything else that might not be the way it should be. Loose wire connects. The switches should not be loose in there holders.

Give this a look. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again for using!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Thanks Bill. Since I was able to get it to run one more time after wiggling the switch, I could see that being the problem.

As a quick follow-up, if that is the case, would it make sense to repair this dishwasher rather than replace? I would imagine that is a relatively inexpensive repair.

Up until this incident, it has worked well and is in good condition.

I would definetely repair the machine. It is rather inexpensive to replace the switches and this is something you can do yourself. That will also save you a bunch of money.

If the machine is still in great shape and you are happy with it, fix it.

Let me know if you have anymore questions, Thanks Again for using!