Glenn, Mechanic
Experience:  over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician

My TV is about 8 yrs old. It is connected to cable not ...

Customer Question

My TV is about 8 yrs old. It is connected to cable not satellite. It worked fine one evening and the next evening I turned it on and the picture was very distorted and wavy and then the screen went blank. I checked with my cable vendor and they indicated nothing was wrong with the cable. Could it be that my picture tube is shot? Is there a way to confirm before I purchase a new TV? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
What I would do in this case is plug another tv into this one from thay spot this will confirm weather it's the cable or not
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I only have this one TV in my home (I know unique). The cable vendor however they ran their test indicated that the problem was in the set. Do you have any other advise? Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: I neglrcted to mention that I tried playing a DVD with this TV, the DVD player has always been connected, and the same thing happens. No picture but there is sound. Does this help in providing me with some other advise. As you see from my previous reply I can't act on the advise you originally provided since I only have 1 TV in my home. Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Ok if the dvd player doesn't work then there is a voltage problem going to the picture tube

You would be better off having it serviced if it's not that old