MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

freezer works and refrgerator and all lights not working

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Are you saying the refrigerator side is not working?

Or, is the only thing not working are the lights?

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: lights and refrigerator are not working freezer is working
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Have you tried replacing the bulbs to see if they are seperate issues?

Can you check the inside rear panel of the freezer? Look for any frost build up on the panel. Let me know what you find.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes tryed new lights    no ice build up very clean i have a part now try to jump thermostats no luck freezer fan not working but turn thermostat off freezer comes on    condenser fan runs all the time
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

It almost sounds like you have an issue with the defrost timer. This timer controls the functions of the machine, freezer fan ,compressor, condensor fan, lights are wired through this. The timer sits behind the temp control knobs in the fridge side. Pull off the knobs, and pop off the cover with the temp numbers on it. There will be two screws under there plus three behind that whole assemble facing up. Take out those screws and you will see the defrost timer on the right hand side. More than likely you have a malfunction in this timer. There is no control board or anything else that could cause this type of issue.

I would first replace the timer. The timer will run about 20 dollars or so at a local appliance parts dealer.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this.

On the diagram below, number 6 is your defrost timer.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
mrbill i tryed the defrost timer no luck could it be the relay or the capacitor
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Well, the relay and capacitor on the compressor have no control of the lights. Those parts start the compressor. If the freezer is working then the compressor is working.

There has to be some sort of wiring issue for both the lights not to work. I would now start at the back of the fridge and start checking wires. Look for freyed, burnt, or damaged wires of any kind. Locate the door switches on the freezer and fridge and check the wires on the back of them. Make sure nothing has come off and shorted out inside the liner.

Give these things a look for me and let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Thanks again,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I checked the wires they test ok compressor kick in then out i did see a spark from the overload over relay. when i cut it off the freezer still had ice it ran 3 days like this seem like compressor kicking on then off verry fast i have ever thing apart wires test ok
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Ok, that sounds like your relay and overload. If the compressor is cutting on and off quickly, then this is your issue. This will be cause by a couple possible things. If the fan by the compressor is not running, the compressor will overheat and cause this(buzz and click)

If the compressor is bad, this will also cause the same noise. In a case like this, replace the components on the side of the compressor first, if this doesn't help the compressor run, then the compressor is bad.

This still does not explain the lights though. That sounds like a seperate issue.

I was not aware that the compressor was turning on and off quickly.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i was cuting on and off to fast when i was testing . cut on and run and freezer working fine . freezer fan is not i think may be ground issue black wire at defrost timer hot when you touch green wire touch white wire no power.condenser fan working and compressor working   tryed to jump white to green kicks unit off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
broke white wire inside made jumper wire works like a champ
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Great Job!

I am happy to hear your machine is back up and running.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill