Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a Kenmore model 665 that the sani rinse light is ...

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore model 665 that the sani rinse light is blinking red continuously. When I press any other button the lock button begins blinking as well until I press the handle. What is the problem and possible cure?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

This model number is XXXXX partial. However, it tells us that Whirlpool built it for Kenmore. Generally these machines have an error code that is 7 blinks and a pause. We see that code on the "Clean" light.

You can flip the circuit breaker in your house for the dishwahser off for 10 minutes to see if the board will reset when you flip it back on.

Try this and let me know how you make out.

If you already have, please check to see if the it's 7 blinks and a pause on your blinking light and we'll take it from there.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: Bernie,

Thanks for your response. I'm uncertain if this is the complete model number as the label is faded and hard to read but here goes. 6653515867990.

I tried doing the reset as you described. When I put the power back to the unit, the "Sani Rinse" light went solid and when I pressed a button the "Lock" button went solid as well for a few seconds and then both began blinking again.

HiCustomer

Your dishwasher could have a heater circuit problem (depending on the age) or this could simply just be water colder than it is used to getting (less likely).

Repeatedly press the Heated Dry and Hi-Temp Wash(scrub) which ever yours has untill all the LED lights come on, press cancel twice and try the dishwasher again making sure to run the water at the kitchen sink till it is hot before starting the dishwasher, if this trips and locks you have a problem with the heating element, or temp sensor.

Press the heated dry button followed by the normal cycle button, and then repeat once. You should see all of the lights come on for a second or two, and then the dishwasher will work again.

If you haven't already, take a look under the kick plate in front to see if there is a schematic tucked in there somewhere. Whirlpool has put their diagnostics for specific models on these.

I don't have the specific repair manual for you model.

So, if the above combination (above) does not work here are two more that have worked for me.

HiTemp Wash + Air Dry + HiTemp Wash + Air Dry in less than 5 sec
or
Hi Temp Scrub/Scour + Air Dry + Hi Temp Scrub/Scour + Air Dry in less than 5 sec

Let me know how you make out and if you have any other questions. I'll check back later.

What ever you do don't run out and buy a new control board right away. I've seen too many of the new boards not fix this issue with these dishwashers. Some even fix it for a month and the same problem comes back.

Bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have the buttons you are referring to. I have Pots/Pans, Normal Wash, Water Miser, China Wash, Quick Wash, Quick Rinse, Water Heat, Sani Rinse, No Heat Dry, Delay Hours, Start, and Cancel/Drain.

I found the schematic and it references that a blinking light will occur for a key that it detects is depressed and will blink until it is fixed. The button feels no more depressed than the others and I tried hitting it a couple of times to try to release it to no avail.

The schematic does refer to part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNon the top, don't know if that helps.

HiCustomer

Yes, that can absolutely cause a blinking light.

I can not locate the model by that number above. I believe you have too many digits. I tried eliminating digits from the back of the number with several different combinations. However, I can not find it.

Does your model have any dial that you turn?

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: No dials. Try model 665.15867.

HiCustomer

I tried that one. No good. However, if it helps to figure it out, let me tell you this.

The 665 is good (tells us Whirlpool made it).

There is usually 8 more digits after the dot.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Looking at the manual, the front says it is a manual for a Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher Models 665.15862, 15867, 15869. The 15867 is the only thing I see that matches in the model from the tag that I gave you.

I had my son look at it. good eyes, and he tells me that the tag says 665 15867990.

HiCustomer

Yes, your son he does have good eyes and that is the model number! Good work. I miss having those eyes, also.

This model is older than the ones that I gave information to you about above.

From the information that we do have about the problem I would go with either a bad button or something with the door lock (little more common).

The important question is - Does the schematic tell you that specifically the "sani rinse light" will blink when any button is stuck? If so, then yes the button is the way to go and it looks like the board has to be replaced because you can't just replace the button.

The standard procedure for those that have the patience would be to dissassemble the the door and examine everything. Your looking for either mechanical and/or electical problem. The electical sometimes is shown with a burned wire, harness and or board.

That board is less than many (but still a bit expensive $125 to $150).

Let me know if you need any more information.

bernie

Hi spivey,

There is also a repair manual that would give you a step by step on this model -

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1192985&PPStack=1

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it says that the light will flash for the key that is stuck, not that particular key for ANY key.

To make sure I understand, you're recommending that I replace the board at this point. How hard is that and is it something that I can do? I saw the diagram you sent, can you explain how to use it? Also, where can I buy the board from and what's the part number?

Got the response about the manual as I was sending this but I think the questions are still valid.

Hi spivey,

My opinion is that there is a good chance that the door lock is bad. A lot of these end up being the cause. You won't know until you take the thing apart and check it both mechanically and electrically. Does it appear to be working coreclty mechancially? It's time consumming.

I also know that a lot of the servicers would just jump on the board and replace it because it's quicker. However, sometimes you replace it to find out it's something else.

If you decide to do this yourself the most important thing you should do is disconnect the electircal from the house circuit. It's too easy to fry the board if you don't and then you will be replacing the board.

Also, we're here if you need any help and/or get stuck. It's not a hard repair to do. I think you'll need a star or torx driver.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took it apart and found nothing wrong mechanically nor do I see any indication that the board is fried. Suggestions?

Is there some sort of check that takes place when the power is turned back on? The reason I ask is the lights that have been blinking go solid until I press buttons.

Hi spivey1889,

Good work.

You can check each of the buttons to see if any appear not to engage correctly. That was what your tech sheet was pointing to.

Check the wiring harness for tight secure connections.

Check all other wiring connections.

Check the door switch electrically to see if it will close the circuit when engaged with an ohm meter.

Did you find any moisture inside? If so, dry area up completely.

Carefully plug back in dishwasher (being sure you do not have anything exposed that might touch something else that would cause a short. Check voltage at door switch and check to see that voltage it coming to the board.

Let me know what you find.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I put power back to the unit today and it is working again. Not sure what happened but it does work. Thanks for all the advice.

HiCustomer

Great work! You deserve a big hand. It very likely is something that was loose. This is why I don't recommend buying a new board right away.

Thank you for the positive feedback.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Apparently I spoke to soon. It worked for a few minutes and then did it again. I did a long power cycle again and it worked again. I tried running a cycle and it ran for a few minutes and then started blinking again. Not sure what's going on at this point.

HiCustomer

I'm sorry. There's something intermittent going on. It very frustrating when one of these problems come back like this. You did touch it though!

Did you run thru that check list above? Did everything on the check list come back ok?

One other item that has had issues from time to time is the sensor that tells the dishwasher that it's full (and because it isn't confuses the machine). Check the water sensor (which is part 32) is free and not jammed in the up position -

If you're confident about having checked all those items then it's would be time to replace the control board.

bernie

HiCustomer

I thought about this today. This is definitely worth tyring.

You may be able to resolve this by taking the door apart and cleaning all the parts with electronic contact cleaner (available at electronic stores). Clean all the electrical connections on the board and to it. Clean any connection that you see there.

The board if it's got bad contacts may have had the contacts temporarily fixed when you where working with the parts. A good cleaning of the board contacts and harness might resolve this so that you don't have to replace that board.

All the parts must be dry before reassembling and before you put the power back on.

Let me know how you make out.

bernie