MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

I have a 5-year-old Kenmore 80-series top-loading washing ...

I have a 5-year-old Kenmore 80-series top-loading washing machine. Just recently, the appliance will stop halfway between the rinse and spin cycles retaining the water from the wash cycle. If I wanted to perform the wash cycle again it would work but stop again in the same spot. This problem holds true for the Ultra clean, Permanent Press, 2nd Rinse, etc. cycles. It always gets stuck right in between these two cycles. Do you have any idea what would be causing this, how it could be repaired, and how much I''d be looking at for someone else to come in and do it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

If you advance the timer to the spin cycle, will the machine spin?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: I'm not sure of the exact model number as I am at work now. No, if I advance the timer to the spin cycle it will not spin or do anything else.
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I would say you have a bad lid switch on your machine. If the lid switch is bad the machine will not spin or drain. This sounds like the issue your are having. On most kenmores there will be a little tab that hangs off the lid. This tab goes into the ring around the lid through a little hole. The lever that this tab hits to activate the switch should block you from seeing into the hole. If the lever of the lid switch is hanging down to far or has broken off, you will visually be able to see this.

This is a very common problem and a rather easy fix. This is a repair that you could do yourself.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this. I will be more than happy to help you out further.

It definitely sounds like you just have a bad lid switch.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill