Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

is there a manual way to unlock the lock button on my ...

Customer Question

is there a manual way to unlock the lock button on my tappan range- I think I may have opened the oven after cleaning before it was completely cooled down- I do not have a model number and have looked and can find one on the range- It is in a house that I rent and the range I am sure is very old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HICustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Try unplugging the range for three or four minutes. You may be able to reactivate the lock to open by pushing cancel or the power button after you plug it back in.

If you have already tried this and it doesn't work then we will need the model number from the range to look at what you are seeing.

You will find this when you open the storage drawer. It should be on cabinet where the drawer meets the cabinet. It' on a sticker (or plate if it's real old). You may have to turn your heat sideways to read it.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I AM AT WORK i WILL TRY UNPLUGGING THE RANGE WHEN i GET HOME THERE IS NO MODEL NUMBER ON THE DRAWER- BUT WHEN YOU OPEN UP THE OVEN THERE IS A WARNING PLATE THERE WITH SOME NUMBERS ON IT THAT MAY BE THE MODEL NUMBER I WILL GET BACK WITH YOU AFTER 5 PM EST THANK YOU

HiCustomer

That sounds like a good plan. Their model numbers do have mostly numbers in them.

I will check back tonight (probably late around 9:30). You can somtimes also unhook the hook that keeps the range door closed by using a thin long flat bade screwdriver. The hook is in the middle of the oven door just under the top.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: okay speakwith you after 9:30 est tonight I will try your suggestions and if it works I will just accept your answer if it does not I will be back as a reply

HiCustomer

Okay. Good luck. We'll figure it out for you if you need more help.

bernie

HiCustomer

I thought that I would give you a bit more information because I will be away later and I want to be sure that you try all the basics first.

With regard to resetting the range (after you unplug it or flip the double circuit breaker off) -

Next - If you are not able to unlock the range try to reset the clock (if you have all electronic panel on the range).

Next - if the unit seems to reset but the lock won't disengage then, try to set the range to again self clean. Wait 10 minutes into the self clean cycle. Then cancel the self clean cycle. Next, wait one hour and then try to unlock the range. This has worked for us a few times.

bernie