MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

washer water stops during filling

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to you machine?

Is the machine completely filling before it stops?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Maytag stack...Model # LSE-7804AC.

The problem seems to be intermittent. I can get it to stsrt filling again sometimes by opening and closing the door. when it does stop, the water stops but the machine continues to make a humming sound. By opening and closing the door repeatedly we can get the drum filled and then it seems to work normally. I suspect the water level sensor. The problem seems to be just during the intitial fill cycle and does not happen during the fill cycle for the rinse. In other words the washer seems to work normally once we get the initial water level up on start.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It almost sounds like you may have a bad water valve. The humming sound, is that coming from the back of the machine? If you open and close the lid, this will start and stop the water valve.

Try this for me. For the initial fill, select only cold/cold and see if you have the problem. Check the flow of water.

Then empty the machine and start over, but this time fill with HOT water only. Check the flow of water.

Give these things a check for me and let me know what you find.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: OK. Right now we are running on "cold" so it may be the cold water valve? When the laundry is done in a few mins we will try starting it on "hot" and see what happens. My wife says that when it stops that it seems to vibrate the water line while humming.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So far the "hot" setting on the washer seems to be filling normally.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My wife pointed to the cold water line as the one that "vibrated" when the water stopped and the machine hummed.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Let me know how you make out.  I will be on here for a while tonight.

After this load, before you run the test,  turn off the water supply to the machine.   Now unscrew the water lines from the back of the washer.  Check inside the valves where the lines screw on.  There should be some screens on there.   Make sure they are not plugged up with residue.

If either the hot water side of the valve is failing or the cold side, the whole valve will have to be replaced.   It is possible for one side to go bad and not the other.

Again, let me know what you find.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the hot water side just filled normally. After this load (My wife wanted to run a load instead of wasting the water) I will take a look as you directed at the fill valve and check for obstructions. Now that i think of it...We have had quite a bit of plumbing re-work done on this old house during a remodel recently and there is a good chance there was dirt or debris that got into the water system and has collected on the screens.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

That is usually the cause. I would give the screens a look and see what you find.

Worse case you may have to replace the valve. This is a rather easy repair if cleaning doesn't fix the valve.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again,

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience