Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

1994 LDG7314 model dryer will not heat up - gas supply ...

1994 Maytag LDG7314 model gas dryer will not heat up - gas supply functioning- is there a dyi option for repair or do I need to bite the bullet and contact a repair service?

hi mirast,

Thank you for using Just Answer.

One DIY repair that you can check for is -

Turn dryer on to timer setting and start dryer. Look inside on left lower side. You can turn lights off to see better. You are looking for the igniter to glow orange. If you can see inside and you do not see the igniter glow you would replace igniter. If it glows for 40 seconds and turns off you replace the radiant sensor.

It looks like part number 4 on this diagram -

Sometimes the igniter is the problem even when it does glow orange. You would check it with an amp meter to be sure in that instance.

You may have to remove the front acces panel to do the above check.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: Thanks -- that is a very helpful answer. I know one can easily order an igniter online -- is it fairly straightforward to replace or would I be better off calling a repair service? I am fairly handy but certainly not a professional!

Hi mirast,

I do think it pretty straight forward. However, if you get into something that you need some more information on you can post back at this question and we will answer (no additional payment needed).

Follow the guidelines and (if you do it yourself) let me know when what you find. I don't want you to order the part until we're real sure it's the one.