MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

The water and ice dispenser on my Maytag refrigerator ...

Customer Question

The water and ice dispenser on my Maytag refrigerator both quit working and a short time later all of the lights on the control panel started blinking and the ice dispensers door keeps opening and closing on a few seconds cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your fridge?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model # XXXXX SER # XXXXX
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Let's try resetting the control board on the fridge. The best way to do this is to unplug the fridge from the wall and wait five minutes. Now plug the stove back in. If this takes care of the issue, great. If not, I would look to replace the control board to the fridge.

It sounds like there may have been a power outage or lightning storm of some sort that may have damaged the control to the fridge.

Let me know how you make out with the reset and we can go from there.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Unplugging for 5 minutes did not change anything
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

On the back of your machine there is going to be a main control board. This is going to be our failure. This controls all the functions of your fridge. The board I'm talking about is number 13 on the diagram below.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this difficult to replace? What is the Approximate cost of the control board ?
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

The board will be fairly easy to replace. Will probably run about $160 or so.

Here is the link below where you get more information about the part.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=132689&ModelNum=MFI2568AEW&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=1&Selected=59310&Position=10&mfg=Maytag&Type=&Mark=0

Number 13 is what your looking at.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Bill.From reading other posts this appears to be a chronic problem with Maytag & Kenmore and AMANA and a lot of people have spent a lot of time trying to get customer satisfaction with no results.Anyhow,I will order the part today and hope that it will fix the problem
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

The first thing that happens when you plug the machine in is the flap on the freezer door will open, the controls will also flash. This is controled by that board. If there is not damage to the power cord on the machine. Check the connections on the power board. If they all look ok, then it has to be the HV board.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Before I ordered the board ,I found information that said Maytag would pay for this part & repair.I phoned Maytag and they confirmed this to be true and shipped the part and have scheduled a repair man for next Tuesday.
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

That's good to hear! I will make sure I relay this info to others with similiar problems. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

And Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill