Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool Elite Catalyst washer model ...

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore/Whirlpool Elite Catalyst washer model #100-20052993. The washer has stopped draining/spinning during the middle of a wash cycle. I drained the water from the tub and checked to make sure the drain hose was not clogged. While the hose was off, I started a cycle and water came right out of the machine. But, when I run a drain/spin or rinse/spin cycle it will fill with water and then stops.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

This problem is usually caused by a lid switch not working. This is a would be on a top loading washer.

You would check the switch mechanically to see if it clicks and electrically to see if the switch will close the circuit.

The model number that you gave above does not show up. Please check it again. I think I know which one this is. However, I do want to be sure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the model number was wrong it is 110-20052993. The lid switch is working fine. It is clicking and you can feel the machine move while I'm opening & closing the lid.

The problem starts when the drain/spin cycles are to begin. If I run a wash or rinse/spin cycle it will fill up with water, but it will not drain or spin.

We would probably still check the switch either by disconnecting and using a ohm meter on it or by bypassing the switch to see if the machine will run that way.

If the switch is okay, the next thing to check is to see if there is something (article of clothing or anything) in the pump and/or outer tub that will prevent the machine from spinning.

You would remove the cabinet to check the between the tubs and it is easier that way to get to the pump. However, you can get to the pump from underneath if you tilt it back against the wall.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The switch is working fine. I found a Diagnostic Tests sheet inside the washer. In testing the Neutral Drain/Spin Test the tests fail at "Motor drains at high speed" and at "Motor drains at low speed." The test passes at the "Motor drains at medium speed." I can hear the washer draining and it does start to spin. Does this help you out?

If the motor agitates we usually don't go to the motor first. The result you got still could point to couple of items.

Did you check between the basket and the tub?

That's what you would like to see because after that it's gets more complicated.

Some of next items are the -

1. wiring harness - check for continuity we'll need wiring diagram (which I think you have)

2. Timer switch - Check continuity and look for contacts worn or burned together

3. Motor - start washer in spin and watch clutch drum to see if it spins (if it doesn't then problem in gearcase - if it does remove motor to check electrically.

4. Cam driver broken

5. Clutch spring

6. Spin tube

7 Clutch lining - replace clutch

Let me know if you would like to do this repair yourself.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for you help. It looks like it is one of the last things you mentioned. I ran a couple of the test and it is either the connection or the Cam driver or clutch.

Do you need the disassembly instructions? If you are doing this repair yourself, I have a PDF file that will help.