Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

My refrigerator is not staying cold enough. What can I do

GE model TFX27FLB. Defrosted fridge and removed a mini iceberg from freezer. Ice maker wont make ice...it used to leak water (hence the iceberg) Now FF flashes on the front control panel. What can I do to save money. My husband and I are hany people.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your refrigerator.

One check (although not convienent), would be to manually defrost the unit completely. The food would be removed. Open the doors and unplug the unit. Then turn it back on in 24 hours or more.

It sounds like you did this already. If so, then if the refrigerator returns to normal operation for 8 to 48 hours then your problem would be the defrost system.

We can go thru these components to isolate the problem.

Another item to check is the defrost drain. This drain line runs from the freezer to a pan under the refrigerator. If it gets clogged then the water backs up into the freezer and you have the water refreezing. You can find the drain behind the back wall inside the freezer.

Here's a diagram that should help -

The drain tube is part number 225. You should be able to pour water down from the top and see it drain into the pan.

Let me know how you make out and we'll take the next step.

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Already thoroughly defrosted fridge and removed all ice. There was water in the drain pan when I cleaned the fridge so thats not the problem. Ice maker didn't fill with ice when I chose to defrost the fridge....water somehow ran into the freezer compartment. Since defrosting...FF flashes on the front control panel along with a red light stating warm temperature. The coils in the freezer compartment are cold and freezer apears to be cold but not sure of the temp. Refrigerator part is barely keeping up.

HiCustomer

How long has it been since you defrost the refrigerator?

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I defrosted the fridge yesterday morning. The FF flashing light and the warm temperature light both came on this morning.

HiCustomer

Those lights are telling you that the fresh food compartment is not at the correct temperture. The freezer is mostly ok ....still .... right...?

I know the defrost system is not the first thing you would think of. I appreciate your patience.

It might be that I need to explain things better so that the steps make more sense.

The defrost system when not working correctly will stop the cold air from the freezer from going into the refrigerator. Ice accumulates on the components that are responsible for sending that cold air to the refrigerator. The components are frozen up and unable to work correctly.

It generally takes about 12 hours (after defrosting) for things to work correctly after you defrost in manually. However, then after another 12 to 48 hour the water starts to freeze in freezer again and things go back to the same problem.

I appolgize in advance if I'm repeating myself. However, to be sure -

Was the refrgerator completely defrosted? Meaning behind the freezer inside back wall there was no ice at all.

If so, we would want to check the temps in both the fresh food compartment and the freezer. It could also be that the ice build up has damaged the damper that goes from the freezer into the fresh food compartment.

You can check that by looking for the vent in the refrigerator and seeing if any cold air is coming thru the vent from the freezer.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had taken the back wall off of the freezer when I defrosted it. There was alot of ice on the coils but I made sure all was gone. I've left the back wall off for now, just until the troubleshooting is over. What you have stated does make sense, however I'm not sure of the damper wether or not it is allowing cold air to blow into the refrigerator. But yes...the freezer seems cold, but it still is not producing ice with the automatic ice maker. I will check out the damper and temperature of the fridge...however...I would have to pick up a thermometer. I would like to ask you another question....I didn't realize how long it sometimes takes to get an answer....(I understand) and I go to bed around 7:00 pm eastcoast time because I work at 3:00 am. Is there a way we could finish troubleshooting tomorrow?

HiCustomer

I have a GE repair service manual. Now, it is not exactly for this model. However, a good 90 percent of everything in it will apply to your troubleshooting and this repair.

You will just need to keep checking the actual diagram for your model which you can see if you enter the model number at www.partselect.com .

If you send an email to ACCLaska@yahoo.com I will attach it to a return email. I will have access to that email later tonight and you could download it tommorow.

If you have more questions and/or need information (or help) I will still be available at this post. All you have to do post here again.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it okay if I finish this tomorrow? I promise I wont disapear on you.

HiCustomer

Absolutely okay, what ever is best for you.

There is a lot of informaiton above. So, you might want to review it with your husband.

Let me know what you would like to do next (when ever you're ready).

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou for your help.