Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a whirlpool SF36LXSB gas Range. The oven goes ...

I have a whirlpool SF36LXSB gas Range. The oven goes on and heats however, shuts down after 15-20 minutes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry that you are having a problem with your range.

Generally, this type of problem often is caused by the igniter, the safety valve and or the thermosat.

Does the oven actually ever get to the temperature that you set it for?

The model number that you give above is missing one digit or maybe the "L" is a number? I would like to give you more specific information.

One popular model is a SF365.

Please post the model number as it appears on the machine. If you pull out the storage drawer and look on the body of the range where the drawer meets it you should find a sticker. That sticker will have the model number, serial number and often the BTU output of the each burner and the oven. You usually have to turn your head sideways to read it.

I will get back with more specific information when you post the model number.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: Model SF362LXSB0. Yes it seems to get to temperature before shutting down. The time continues to go on after the oven shuts down.

The most likely cause would be the igniter starting to fail. Eventually it will not light the oven at all. This shows how to test the ignitor -

Check part number 16 on the diagram below. It is locate under the floor of the oven.