MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

on my Frigidaire side by side refrigerator, a thin

Customer Question

on my Frigidaire side by side refrigerator, a thin (1/8" to 1/4") layer of ice forms on the bottom base of the freezer.happened again even after I pulled out the ice-maker unit for 18 hours.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

Is the ice forming on the inside, right?

Building up on the rear panel.

Thanks for using JustAnwer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Model is FRS 20ZRG - yes there is some frost on the rear inside panel
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you may have a defrost issue. To check this, you will have to remove the toe kick on the fridge. This is the vent under the doors. On the left hand side you will see a hole. Inside the hole is the defrost timer. Rotate the dial clockwise until you hear a noticably different "click". The fans and the compressor will shut off.

Now leave the machine go for about 10 minutes or so. We are going to check to see if the heater in the rear of the freezer comes on.

If the heater comes on, you have a bad timer. If the heater doesn't come on, you more than likely have a bad defrost thermostat.

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Thanks Again,

Bill

You will still be able to follow up with me on this even after you press the accept button.

The defrost timer is number 23 on the diagram below

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said turn timer till fan and comp shuts off. But they are not running now. Remember I have the ice making unit out of unit for 12+ hours . Shoud Iinstall it empty and put my ice cubes back in first ???
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I would install the icemaker back in the fridge first. How are the temps in the machine.

If you are having a defrost issue the icemaker will not work. It could be possible the fill tube that feeds the icemake may be partially froze and leaking water down to the bottom of the freezer.

The drain line in the back of the freezer under the evaporator coils could be plugged or frozen also.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I turned the timer quite a bit -- did not shut off.     I am 85 yrs old . Will call in local repairman. But will give him your good recommendations. I will approve ypur payment.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you may just have a bad defrost timer. This will cause lots of problems with your machine. Including the icemaker not working.

Thanks for using JustAnwer.com!

I am sorry I could not help you further. Good Luck and if you have anymore questions, even after you press the accept button, please feel free to ask, anytime.

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
During all this time of the problem with ice at bottom floor of freezer, have not had any problem with ice maker. I just took it out overnight, just to see if it made a difference, which it did not. Now i wonder if I may have made a problem when I turned the timer to right , and compresser did not shut off. I just left the timer knob there.   the knob is a terrible design for adjusting.----AS to temps in freezer, food looks hard and solid. I just put a thermometer in there.   Have to leave house for couple hours. will check temp then.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

The more you describe your issue, it sounds like you just may have a plugged drain line in the freezer. This will cause the water that is supposed to drain down to the pan under the fridge to drain into the bottom of the freezer. This will not really cause an issue with the temps. The defrost timer works like a clock. The dial will spin in one complete circle every eight hours. This will shut the fans and the compressor down for about thirty minutes during this time and melt all the frost off the evaporator behind the panel. That water goes down a drain hole behind the panel. If the hole is plugged the water will run into the freezer and freeze at the bottom. This is what your issue sounds like.

Let me know what you find with the temps.

Thanks Again,

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: what you diagnosed sounds plausible. my thermometer read -10 at mid point of freezer.At the bottom of the freezer, on right panel, there is a 1"hole there. Could this be where the water comes from?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

The water is going to be coming from behind the panel. When the coils defrost, the water runs down to a hole under the evaporator coils. To see these you will have to remove the lower portion of the inside rear freezer panel.

Let me know how you are making out.

Thanks Again,

Bill