Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Tappan gas range purchased in 1993 (model ...

Customer Question

I have a Tappan gas range purchased in 1993 (model 30-2251-00/07). Of late the digital clock/timer has been squealing continuously while in clock mode. The only way to stop this very annoying sound is to turn on the timer and set it to the maximum time of 1:59. When the timer completes the countdown it beeps as it should, but turning it back to clock begins the squealing again. Can I disconnect the "alarm" without disconnecting the clock/timer completely?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I dont believe its the the alarm you hear , it sounds like motor on the clock , I've seen that before . i'm going to look at model and i'll get back to you as soon as possible.thank you Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: You "expert", Bryan, was going to look up the model number to give me an answer to my question. He has not yet gotten "back to me". When he does answer my question, I'll pay him. In extension to my question, can I disconnect the clock without disabling the rest of the electrical system? If so, how?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry got tied up working . I just looked at your clock asm. and its digital but I think you can diconect the buzzer without any damage to clock. go to www.repairclinic.com and you can enter your model and bring up picture of your clock.looking at back view of clock you can see a round disk shape on left I believe thats your beeper. there are a red and a black wire . make sure oven is diconected from wall when you do this. cut one of the wires and see if it stops . if it does then you can test everything else like bake / broil they should work alright. your clock should work okay too. if they dont you will have to replace clock to stop noise. you may want to make sure thats where niose is coming from before cutting wire . good luck and sorry again for not getting right back to you, Bryan p.s I 'm not 100% sure about the disk on back is beeper so after you get back off stove plug it back in and make sure that the disk is making the noise! take a wooden dowl and put it on disk and listen to it. dont touch anything bare electrical , be carefull! I just want you to make sure the noise is coming from disk.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I'll try to check back with you tomorrow. thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, Bryan! Peace at last. All went well, and the clock and timer work fine - minus that very annoying squeal.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome glad to hear it worked. I've seen that problem before, tahnks again ,Bryan