Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Air Conditioner

Customer Question

I have a digital thermometer and this morning when I woke, the wall unit had no power. I flipped the a/c breaker in the breaker panel and on the a/c itself. There was still no power to the wall unit. I left for work with it off, and when i returned home 9 or so hours later it was back on. I ran the a/c then and all seemed ok. But after a few hours the thermometer on the wall is without power again? I again tried the breakers and nothing! Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
it sounds like you have a short that overheats when you run both. i woudnt run anything on that breaker until you have an electrician check it. you could have a fire . was your breaker tripped when you you first noticed it? you may have a bad connection in your wall recepticle . please shut breaker off and have it checked. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: You said it sounds like a short when i run both? The thermostat is the a/c controller. I don't think it is two different systems as you are indicating. No the breaker was not tripped in the breaker box or on the handler either. I pulled the panel off the wall and the wires all seem secure. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
oh, I see . well is this a/c unit like a heat pump thats in the wall and run by a thermostat mounted on wall? or is it a central a/c unit? I'll stay on line and wait for answer.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
I don't know why you accepted that answer I would ask for a refund

Now to deal with your quetion this sounds like the transformer is getting warm and opening up the control circuit
Check all the small wire connections on the thermostat and inside the air handler this is where your filters are
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: Yes its a central a/c unit...
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
OK check the things i just posted
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
One other thing allot of those digitals have a battery for the display check that to
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I clicked the wrong button and already asked for a refund if i did not get a helpful answer. Thanks by the way for the help!

What is a control circuit? I did check the wires, and all seem tight not loose at all. When i move them the thermostat does not come on. I did pull the cover off the handler, and also jiggled the wires, then turned the breakers back on, and nothing still?

What i find odd is that sometime today it came back on, all on its own?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, battery i did check for one and did not find one.....
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Do you own a meter ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, that would measure the volts correct?
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Yes You can get a pocket multi meter for round 15 bucks then we could check the transformer itself
This is a simple fix i think but with the meter we can trouble shoot
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, so while i was in the garage at the handler, there is a pipe coming out near the bottom. It has water in it and a senor that if the water gets to high it lifts the senor and shuts the system off? Why would the water get so high and what would be required to stop that?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The system is running right now, and i tilted the pipe up so the water does not run into the pipe, but isntead into the outlet for exit i guess?
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Ok good I didn't reliaze you had one of them
Yes this s condensate if you have a window open or allot of traffic coming in and out you will get excessive moisture

This condensate should drain down the drain and not in that stand pipe with te sensor in it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the help on this, i appreciate it.... I am ok with paying, but maybe $10 instead of $15? Just Answer told me to get with you to see about a refund? But again i only want five back, you were helpful!
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Ok I'll take care of it and hope everything is ok thanks for th 10 well we get a portion of it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

K, thanks again

Jason

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I geuss glen has taken over question and you figured it out so I'll opt out, thanks and good luck..