Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How do we take the Atlantis washer apart to check the belt.

How do we take the Atlantis washer apart to check the belt. It''s not spinning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

What is the make and model number of your unit, please.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Maytag - Atlantis - Model number MAV9501EWW
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Did you receive my earlier reply?
It's an Maytag, Atlantis
Model MAV950IEWW
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I still need help. Can I have a new Expert?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
hi this is Bryan , I'll see if I can help. give me a few minutes to look up model. thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan again, the belt on that machine is under machine. you can just tip machine back and you will see the belt. it runs around the pump / motor/ and trans. . hope this helps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The belt is in place and looks like it's in good condition. So our problem is the machine is not spinning the clothes so the excess water is removed from them. The top left hand pulley seems to move back and forth, possibly for the different cycles (??? I really don't know this I'm guessing) and the belt seems loose. It also squeaks during the spin cycle when the machine is running. It's leaving the clothes soak in wet.
Flyte 01
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the belt may look fine but may be streched. does it look real shiny ? belts can look alright but can still be bad. its easy to change and not alot of money, I would change it and see if it helps. thanks Bryan. p.s. the pully movement is because the motor is spring load to keep tension on belt when you tip up motor will slide back. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan
We'll try that. If that is not the problem can we get back to you or do we accept this as your answer?
Flyte 01
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you can eccept now if you like, even if you need more help with it its still open until you close the question and i'll keep helping you as long as needed. thank you Bryan

Bryan please check your PMs

Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I meant to ask you if washer was spinning at all? if its not it could be your lid switch is bad as one of my colleague's has mentioned to me. please let me know. it probably wouldnt hurt to change belt anyway if machine is older.thanks again Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Hi Bryan
I hate to be the fool but "accepting" is different then "closing"? I've never done this before so I'm not sure of the procedure.
We are going to get a belt today if we can and change it so hopefully this will be solved by the end of the day.
Please advise on how to proceed. Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you can wait if you like and if it takes care of your problem then just hit accept, i believe you said your washer was squeaking in spin right? because i sent you another post asking if it was spinning if it is just disregard lid switch post. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We'll get back to you once we've got the new belt on. Hopefully we can find one today. I need to get some clothes washed!
Flyte 01
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay good luck, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We changed the belt. The washers lid switch works with the agitator but it chirps like a bird when it gets to the spin cyle and it doesn't spin.
What do you figure? Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
do me a favor, take the belt off and spin the pump (right front pully) and see if it turns without making noise. also you can turn big pully in center (tub pully) and see if it spins. one way is spin the other way is agitate. you should see tub move. let me know Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
go to www.repairclinic.com and put in part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNits a repair kit for transmission bearing kit I've had to replace alot of these over the years if it worn it wont spin and makes a clicking sound. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We will try this and get back to you.
We have family here right now so it will be tomorrow morning.
Thank you Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay . Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning Bryan
Well the pump pulley turns without making noise, the centre pulley spins clockwise without any problem but the center pulley will turn counterclockwise but springs right back - an inch or two.
We called the place we bought the machine from and he suggested that is was the input pulley kit needed to be replaced but when we called the parts place they called it a thrust bearing kit.
We're confused and should probably have left this to the experts but now we're in the middle of it.
We also have no idea how to access these pulleys and the bottom of the washer as it is enclosed. Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
some call it a thrust bearing kit . you say its enclosed? when you tip machine up you cant see belt and pulleys?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan
We can see the pulleys and the belt but that's it. We needed to get this fixed so we called a guy to come in and take care of it. After watching this guy I'm sure we could have done what he did ourselves but there was no indication from anyone that it was an easy task. He replaced the wheel (pulley) in the centre of the machine (when flipped) So it's fixed.
I'm not sure what to do in terms of paying you. Is a Transmission Bearing kit the same as a transmission pulley kit. The first sounds like you have to take the whole housing out and change something inside. I can imagine it's hard to diagnose things over the internet when the people you're communicating with are not on top of what the terminology of your trade. Please get back to me with what your thoughts are. Customer
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan , If you called someone to fix it and it worked I'm realy happy, as far as pulley kit are concerned there are a lot of different terms for the same thing, the actual tub spin bearing is a big job (different bearing) I'm sorry if I made you think it was a big job didn't mean to. thats why I gave you site to look at. when I got back to you yesterday I was a little confused because you said you couldn't see pulley and bearing thats why I ask if you could see belt from underneath ,I was going to walk you through it but I had to drive 500 miles and take my granddaughter to get some tests done today, (she has c.p..) I just got back. as far a paying me if you feel I didn't help you then don't pay thats fine. good luck in future. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.