Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE washer Model WWA8808 and the agitator will not ...

I have a GE washer Model WWA8808 and the agitator will not work.The plastic agitator sits on a smooth shaft on top of the bell housing,without a spline shaft,what holds the agitator on to the shaft to prevent it from spinning on the shaft? I dont see anything to hold it in place.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Hi do you have the agitator coupling off with the agitator, its aplastic piece between shaft and agitator about three inches around. ? Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is you shaft on the agitator stripped ? there is a coupling on the agitator but if your shaft is striped it wont work replacing it. you have to change tran. if its striped.go to www.pcappliancerepair.com for diagram . your model# XXXXX has mal at the end. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: there is nothing to hold the agitator on,There is a plastic cap at the base of the shaft which the agitator covers when in place.It is not a spline shaft and does not seem to be stripped and I see no collar to secure the agitator,it just lifts off the shaft and spins freely without agitating.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
when you put the machine in agitate without agitator on does the tran. shaft agitate?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you look at top of shaft and dont see any spline than its stripped. if you look up inside your agitator to the very top you will see a rubber coupling . that coupling goes down over shaft in machine tightly. if it dosnt than your shaft is stripped. did you see diagram at www.pcappliancerepair.com it shows the coupling I'm talking about. thats all there is left if your shaft is agitating. check and see if the spline on shaft is stripped. clean it with a small screwdriver and you will see. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi this is Bryan, go to www.pcappliancerepair.com and where it says enter part # XXXXX wh1x1944 and it will bring up picture of the piece (coupling) thats inside your agitator up top and if you see the inside spline thats the part that goes over your shaft. you can see the spline. let me know okay?. Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: I dont see a rubber coupling
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is it missing? did you see the one online? that piece is inside your agitator in the center up top use a flashlight and look up inside it should be there if its not thats what your problem is its missing somehow. is there a spline on top of shaft of trans. you never told me if you tried to clean shaft off. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the end of the shaft is definately smooth and there is a rubber piece about two inces from the top of the shaft that is smooth on the outside and I am unable to move it up or down to see if it is a spline.There is nothing inside the agitator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay thats your coupling on top of the shaft. you have to knock that off of shaft ,it may be rusted on. then get new one and put it in agitator then put whole thing back on the trans. shaft . you may have to clean shaft of any rust or grime. you can see how it goes together online or ask parts dealer how to install. thanks Bryan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi, did you figure it out yet? if you think my ansers are wrong I can opt out and let someone els answer your question if you would like. let me know thanks Bryan.

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Bryan.thanks for all your help but I find it lees expensive to just replace the machine with a good used one as the parts are way over priced,I am going to answer yes so you get paid.thanks again.