Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Ihave a bottom freezer, model ARB1917CB, about a week ago, ...

Customer Question

Ihave a bottom freezer, model ARB1917CB, about a week ago, I noticed the cubes in the ice tray seemed watery, I turned it to coldest and the next morning, the food was thawing. the fans were working inside and out. The fan blowing out in the back is blowing cool, seems like it is usually warm. After loking around on the internet, I replaced the thermostat for the second time in less than a year. It worked great for 36 hours, now the temp in the freezer is 60. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am on social security and cannot afford to replace. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I will try to help you, do you see any frost buildup in the freezer section? is the fan in freezer running? there is also a fan in back of ref. down the bottom is that running? Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry I see you checked fans , let me know if you see any frost on back panel in freezer. Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to a1speedyappliance's Post: no frost at all
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you take the back panel in freezer section off? Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, it will take me a few minutes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
new issue, I unplugged to take door and back off freezer section, realized I couldn't see and plugged it back in, the lights came on, but the compresor and fans did not come back on, not a sound or a breeze anywhere
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I have to go and do a couple of jobs I'll be back in a couple of hours , sometimes it takes a few minutes for ref. to come back on others take longer because it may have gone into defrost mode. dont plug right back in its not good on compressor. use a flashlight to see.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Im back, okay did you get a chance to get the panel off yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry, I did not get your message somehow. Yes I have the back off, when I hear from you again, I am ready.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay do you see any frost on coils? if so how much? is it totaly solid or just a light frosting? Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no frost at all
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is ref. running now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just pluged it in, the door is off, so I can't tell if it is cooling, but within 5 or ten minutes, I can see a light coating of frost on the coil where it begins and the upper right hand metal strips and it seems to slowly be working its way down on the coils. Now, I placed the door on and a temp gauge inside to see if it is cooling. the air coming out the back is now warm, it was coming out cool yesterday, so something is different, but i presume even though it is cooling now, it will do the same thing, be cool mybe for 24 hours or so and then go off again. What do you think? It is an hoour later now and the freezer is down to 30 and the coils are getting heavier in frost.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay I'm sorry had to go do a couple of jobs. so its frosting good then? you should have a fairly even frost on all of the coils, if you do your compressor seems okay. does your light go out when you close the bottom ? maybe your light is staying on when you shut freezer. put ypur panel back on and remove bulb and see if it cools better. also push switch in and see if light goes out. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
after a couple hours, it was totally frozen thick. I unpluged it and it thawed out within n hour. i plugged it back in about 1:oo p.m. and it did not get cold. the light goes out when you push the door switch. When it is working , the air blowing out the back is warm, when it is not cooling , the air coming out the back is cool. Are the coils and the little metal strips supposed to be thick and frozen looking or just a light coating on the coils, but not on the strips. I unplugged it and left it unplugged for about thirty minutes, plugged it in again and it is not cooling. It seems that it has to be off , like overnight and then it works again. when I replaced the thermostat, it had been of for a couple days and seemed to be working, but for only 36 hours before it went hot again. any clues there?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well it should have a good amount of frost but i cant see it being totaly frozen thick . it will have frost on fins. it sounds like your compressor is fine . its got to be electrical. where did you get thermostat, is it original or after market? it could be you have a faulty defrost timer. I'll get back to you when I look it up again . Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought the thermostst at Fox Appliance Parts of Atlanta. On the invoice under brand, it says WHO. I really don't think it was the thermostat, I had just replaced it six or so months ago.   The fact that it seems to come on after many hours of being off seems telling to me. I read somewhere on the internet that sometimes the defrost timer gets stuck open. Could it correct itself after being off for a certain period of time. How often does the defrost come on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes it can. defrost timers are not expensive you might want to try changing it. the motor in the timer may be running slow or even stop at times that could be the problem. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I will get the defrost timer and see what happens. Where is it located.?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if you go to www.pcappliancerepair.com you can bring up diagram. i didnt realy check location but i will if you if you want. Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, that is fine, I will go to site. Thank-you, I am on phone trying to get pat right now. I will let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
okay thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just went to that site you gave me and when I saw the picture of the defrost timer, I realized I replaced that the last time I replaced the thermostat. Are there any other parts that I have not replaced that it might be, just in case.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
how long ago did you replace timer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
6-8 months ago
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think I replaced the defrost thermostat first, still did not work, then I got a thermostat.At that time it was completely freezing up. It had done it several times and would start working again after I thawed the coils. I thought at the time it was because somebody had not closed the drawer well.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
you must have a defrost problem if its completly freezing up and you have to defrost it for it to run. you may have a bad defrost thermostat . its in the freezer section. I will look up which one you need. also not alot of money .Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bryan, My ferigerator is still not working. I have changed the thermostat and defrost timer. It is still doing the same thing. It will work after being unplugged for 3-4 hours for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours and then it will go off, not come back on untill it has been unplugged for 3-4 hours. Any clues?