John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Miele tumble dryer is not getting hot. The timer works ...

Customer Question

My Miele tumble dryer is not getting hot. The timer works the light comes on and the drum goes round but the clothes are not drying.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Have you tried resetting the breaker to the dryer?

Turn off the breaker(fuse box in your house) to the dryer, wait five minutes, then turn the breaker back on to the dryer and let me know if that works.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: It can't be this as the rest of the machine is working, I did explain this in my email.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Honestly it can be. I have done many service calls where half the breaker is kicked on dryers. The power going to the dryer consists of two seperate 120 volts AC which make the 240 volts required for the heater to run. The electric controls on the dryer only run off 120 which is half the power. It is possible for half the breaker to be kicked.

The dryer control will still work and the 120 volt motor on the dryer will still run. But the 240 volt heater will not heat.

I have seen this enough times, the first thing to do when checking a dryer is check the power going to the dryer. I have told many customers on the phone before I come to their house to do service,"have you checked the breaker?" I get told "Yes". When I get there it's the breaker!

Just the first check you need to do to start narrowing down what the problem might be. I am a service technician. I fix appliances all day at my job. I wouldn't tell you something that I don't believe isn't correct.

Can I get the model number to the dryer also, please.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your email, we have switched the breaker off and will email you in 10 minutes. The model is Miele Novotronic T234C.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No still not working.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I apologize, but I do not have a service manual on your dryer.

I will opt out and let another tech help you out with this. Thanks for checking the breaker.

And Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think this service is absolute rubbish, you have taken my money and not given me a satisfactory answer. For you to say that you do not have the manual for my machine and someone will contact me who has was hogwash. Again you have not fulfilled your obligation to me!