Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

My frost free Hotpoint refrigerator is leaking water in ...

Customer Question

My frost free Hotpoint refrigerator is leaking water in the back of inside of frig from the freezer and water builds up at the bottom of the frig under the vegetable bins. I am now placing a towel below the freezer and the first shelf of frig to maintain the leakage.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

The drain from the evaporator is clogged/frozen. This is the drain that carries the water that is produced from your fridge defrosting itself at least once a day. Remove the back wall inside the freezer - you'll see the cooling coil , directly below it is a trough , in the center of the trough is a hole which connects to the drain tube. Use a hair dryer to thaw the ice , then use a turkey baster and using really hot water keeping blasting and sucking water down into this hole until it flows freely. If your satisfied with this answer please hit the ACCEPT button. thanks for using justanswer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had a service refrigeration technician to come out to fix this problem. This was not the answer at all--the seals on my refrigerator needed replacing. expensive.. i will probably just go out and buy a new refrigerator.
I lost 11 bucks and no more on a 17 year old refrigerator. thanks but no thanks.
OK penny