Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

MY FREEZER IS WORKING FINE BUT THE FRIGE IS NOT GETTING ANY ...

MY FREEZER IS WORKING FINE BUT THE FRIGE IS NOT GETTING ANY COLD AIR THROUGY THE VENT, IT IS NOT BLOWING.i replaced thermostat and control switchand still not blowing in fridge.its a ge tbx21c1brraa
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Try this -

Open the freezer door. Push in the door switch to "trick" the refrigerator into thinking that the door is closed. Listen to see if you can hear the fan. Do you hear it?

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes the freezer is blowing ice cold
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
freezer is blowing ice cold but fridge is not.

HiCustomer

Do you have any frost on the back panel?

Have you removed the back panel to see if there is excessive frost and/or ice there? -

http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=tbx21&SearchTerm=fan&RefineSearch=0

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no i did not remove back panel, my freezer is packed full with food, if it is the evaoerator coil could i just unplug electric for an hour to let it defrost?

HiCustomer

What we would like to determine is if there is excessive frost/ice on the evaporator coils behind the back panel in the freezer.

Ice there would mean the the defrost system is not working correctly and this will not allow the air the flow into the refrigerator.

We're not trying to just defrost the refrigerator. We want to know if the refirgerator is not doing it correctly.

If you have a lot of food you certainly don't have to do it tonight. I can check back with you tommorrow or when ever you respond again to this post. I check in every day.

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW TO REMOVE BACK PANEL,
DOES IT SNAP OUT OR ARE THERE SCREWS SOMEWHERE IN THERE,IT ALSO HAS ICE MAKER.

HiCustomer

Let's try this (maybe tommorrow or whenever you can) -

Here's a way to determine if the problem is with the self-defrosting system. Remove all of the perishable food from the refrigerator and freezer, turn the thermostat in the refrigerator to Off, and leave the doors open for 24 to 48 hours. (Be sure to have several towels ready in case the melting frost and ice causes the drip pan to overflow).

This allows the refrigerator to defrost "manually." When the frost and ice build-up has completely melted away, turn the thermostat back to a normal setting. If the refrigerator then cools properly, it indicates a problem with one of three components in the self-defrosting system:

• The defrost timer
  • The defrost thermostat (also called the bi-metal switch)
  • The defrost heater

If it still does not cool properly, there may be a problem with the refrigerant level or the compressor. You may need to consult with a repair technician to further diagnose the problem because working with the compressor and refrigerant require training.

This way we don't have to take the refrigerator apart to get an understanding of what's going on.

bernie