The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 35 year old Maytag washer A107. Just had my timer ...

I have a 35 year old Maytag washer A107. Just had my timer rebuilt. I noted most wire locations correctly but did not realize there were two green wires and had not noted which went where on the timer. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi icowen74;

Green wires are ground wires. They should connect to the grounding lug on the timer.

Im sure I have a manual for the unit somewhere. It will take some archive searching to find it.

For now see if there are two grounding lugs. at least one should connect to the timers body.

I will see if I can find the manual. let me know if there are not any lugs that attach to the body .

Best THS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I figured it out from numbers on the wires and terminals.

Now that I have it operating again, it seems that the timer somehow is about 30 degrees off, because when it goes through a cycle it ends 30 degrees off the top of the dial. Is this plausible? Might some teeth on a gear be missing inside the timer? Is there a fix for this, or do I just recalibrate myself to always set it against a maker that is 30 degrees off the top, rather than at the top? Or will the missing teeth come back to haunt me on some cycle?

What you can do to see if any teeth are missing is rotate the control all the way around. If it clicks the same all the way around they are fine. If some are diffrent than the others then you may have a problem.

Actually there are no gears inside. The system works like the old style music boxes. It is a series of knotches and keys(contacts) that fall (are opened or closed) into them.

That is the beauty of the older machines. No digital workings they are all analog switches.

As for the manual I am sorry but I was wrong about having your model number. The best I can do is a model that is 7 years younger than yours.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.