The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I just got a Kenmore dryer 417.80052990 given to me. I ...

Customer Question

I just got a Kenmore dryer 417.80052990 given to me. I vented it and tried to start it. Drum wouldnt turn. If figured out it was the belt. I took silver vented panel off back(bottom left) belt was on drum but nothing else. I also found parts in bottom of dryer, from looking online I have figured out they are the spring, idler arm and Idler arm assembley without pulley, I also found a bracket. Person before me had no problems with dryer. I am assuming this was caused from moving it. I have no clue what to do now. all pictures I have found online do not look like what inside of mine looks like and I cannot figure out how to get any other panels off dryer. Help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi purplygirly;

While I search my archives for the drawings you need to try tipping the unit and see if the rest of the tensioner is still rolling around inside. If it is it may still be useable.

I'll be back shortly

This question is still open to the other experts so if one of them have the pictures they can reply and get you going faster.

Best THS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
nothing else found

Ok here we go

To access the inside you need to first take the two screws out ot the lint filter. tThen use a putty kniife to pop the front of the top up from the chassis. Tilt tit back and then in the top of the units front are two screws that you loremove from the frnt panel to remove it. You can now remoove the drum and acccess thetentioner roller assembly.

If the unit has a thing dticking out the bacl that looks worn out you need to replace it and the casrrier assembly it rides in. This is the main support bearing for the drum.

While you are in there check the felt and replace as needed.

If the idler is not in there you need to get another,. The belt is installed over the motor pully and under the idler then brought up around the drum as you put it bacl in.

Reassemble in reverse order and thwere you are.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My lint filter is inside the door and I didnt see any screws.

One minuit I maty have the wrong model

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there somewhere I can see a picture of what you described. Im much better with pictures.

Ok does your unit have a lower panel in the front of it?

Working on it (the picture)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Front is all one piece.

Ok The reason I seem a bit confused is because the unit you have is a rebranded Kelvinator OR a whirlpool. They do not specify which. So please bear with me. If I could see your unit it would be a no brainer but im sort of like the three blind men trying to describe the elephant to each other at the moment.

Ok front solid lint screen in door Gotcha Be right back.

I do have the belt routing diagram You may need it

Ok have a look at this drawing and see if it is the same door you have

Here is the rest of the breakdown

When you go to take the drum out you need to lift the drum off the mounting braket in the rear CAREFULLY! You dont want to damage the heater coils.

Ther rest of the directions are as posted above (except the lint screen)

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was just on a website that said the 417 in the beginning means it is a kelvinator

Kelvinator frigidair Sorry

Link to the 417 code here

Also if the belt coming off was caused by the move you will most likely have a drum tat is off the main rear bearing and may have damaged the coils. See if you can spin the drum by hand. If not oy os off the bearing and complete removal of the drum will be needed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
door looks kind of the same I guess but lint filter is more curved
It is still the same unit. I found the model number at the Sears site (finally) and that is where the drawings came from. The drawinfgs may not be perfect but they are close enough.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hey I also found a litle silver ball

That is definatly not good. Look at it carefully and see if it appears like it has been cut off at one end. Like someone used a file to trim it from a shaft it was attached to.

Never minfd ... that is part #5 in the main break down. The drum will have to come out.

I thought it might be the rest of part #32. I have seen them worn all the way through the shaft.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the ball is small and perfectly round
Yup that would be part #5 in this drawing (See top left insert in drawing)