MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

hello, i have a kenmore elite model 110.70942990 gas dryer.

Customer Question

hello, i have a kenmore elite model 110.70942990 gas dryer. it just stopped heating. the drum spins and all but no heat. if you can give me a idea of what needs to be replaced it would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mike
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

There are a couple things that will go bad to prevent the gas dryer from heating. Alot of times it turns out to be the coils on the gas valve. Check the ignitor, make sure it is glowing orange, If there is not orange glow when you start the dryer then look to replace the ignitor. There should be a plastic plug on the front of your dryer down toward the bottom. Remove the plug, start the dryer, look for the glow inside.

I hope this information gets you started. If you have anymore questions please ask. You can still ask me questions even after you press the accept button.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: so if the ignitor doesnt glow then that is whats wrong? or could it be a "fuse" or heat sensor. i would hate to order a ignitor and then its something else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i replaced the ignitor and it still doesnt work any more ideas?
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Your radiant sensor may have failed. This will keep the ignitor from glowing. It sounds like it is already telling the dryer that the burner is on so the ignitor will not glow.

This is the next step I would take. There are other thermostats that will prevent the ignitor from lighting but these are the most common failures.

The radiant sensor is number 48 in the diagram below. I would not worry about having an extra ignitor for your dryer. It is more than likely that you will need to replace this sooner or later. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok replaced the radiant sensor, still not working what would you suggest next? thanks, mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: i replaced the radiant sensor, nothing, what would be the next likely part, thanks, mike
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Well, next in the chain of command are your thermostats. They cut off the heating system when the dryer is at the proper temperature.

Let's try this. Number 43 on the diagram below is a high limit thermostat. This will shut the heating system off at certain temps. Take the two wires that are going to this thermostat and connect them together. Now start the dryer again, just don't let the ends of the wires touch anything when you plug it back in.

Try this and let me know how you make out. This is the degree of difficulty I was explaining to another customer. Thanks for hanging in there.

We will get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for your patience,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok tried that, still nothing. what would be the next thing to try? thanks for your help, mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok tried that, still nothing, what is the next in line of things to check? thanks alot, mike
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Try the same thing with number 42, it is a thermostat with four wires. Only jump out the two bigger wires. The two small wires cannot be jumped.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok it was the thermal fuse. i ordered a new one. is it ok to run the dryer with the wires jumped until i get the part? if i wrap them in electrical tape? thanks for all your help. mike
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Are you talking about the white fuse?

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was number 59 on that chart
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Yeah, it will be ok in the meantime. I would double check the venting of the dryer. This fuse usually goes when there is a venting issue.

Check the vents first before running the dryer for any long period of time. If the vents are ok, then it should be ok to run for a few days.

Thanks Again,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey thanks for helping.it took a few parts but we got it. mike