Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE side by side with freezer door on bottom.

Customer Question

I have a GE side by side with freezer door on bottom. Model # XXXXX The light for the ice maker does not appear so we cannot tell it that we want ice. How di I repair this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

This is a new model. The procedure is to press and hold the "Alarm/Light" pad for 10 seconds (to be sure). It actually says 3 seconds in your manual.

If you are happy with this answer please click the "accept" button and/or let me know if you need more information.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I did this just now, the Lock was activated. I then pressed again for 20 seconds and back again a few more times, but all that happened was the padlock picture came on/off.
Thank You....
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It could be you are not getting 9 volts dc from the main electronic board in back of refr or the board in the dispenser is bad . This refrigerator is loaded with electronic components . This is a fairly new model and should be under warranty so anything you try yourself will void the warranty . Call where you purchased it and get a qualified service tech to check it. If this aswer is satisfactory please hit the ACCEPT button.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

HiCustomer

From the procedure that you did, you did get something good. The fact that you received that response is a good thing.

Try this -

Unplug the refrigerator for 15 minutes (or a little more) and then plug it back in. This may reset the display.

Did this model just start doing this? How did you find this to happen?

Are you talking about the light that is also the nightlight?

This model has a one year complete warranty (from date of purchase). So, if you can not get it to clear then you absolutely want to have GE service the unit. If the board is bad and/or the dispenser panel is bad it will be expensive in parts alone. GE will do this at no charge during the first year.

Let me know if you need any more information.

bernie