The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

GE MDL # XXXXX refrig.

Customer Question

The door on this side by side seem to open by themselves. When you close one the other slowly opens about 1/2" to 1". I hate to get rid of it because it still works well. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

This problem can uaually be solved by checking the level of the unit. If leveling the unit does not solve the problem then you may have a warped chassis. This can be checked by cross taping the door corners and sides then adjusting the levelers as needed.

You can also apply just a bit of backwards tilt to the unit. This will help the doors to remain closed.

Other than that some units use a magnetic strip to help keep them sealed. If it has shifted it may not be effective and will need to be placed where it can again contact the chassis.

If anything adding some magnetic strips can help to keep the doors from popping open again. These are availabvle at most hardware stores.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I raised the front up and their was no change. I did put vasoline on the seal and "tweeked" the door some. Your in put directed me to the problem area thank you.

Im glad I could help,Customer

Thank you for the accept.