Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
8049636

My air conditioner will run fine but every

Customer Question

My air conditioner will run fine but every once in a while the breaker will trip. If manualy reset it will run again and might run for a day or for a couple of hours untill breaker trips again. I replaced braker and instaled "hard start" with the same result. There are no unusual noises comming out of compressor (outside unit), fan runs, nothing unusual as far as I can see or feel?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for using justanswer for your appliance questions!

First things first.... Be sure the coils are good and clean on the outside unit. You can wash the coils out with a water hose. Be sure to shut the power off before you do any servicing. It sounds like you know how to take the panel off, so i need you to remove the cover where the wires hook up to the compressor. Some times these are over heated and they get loose. Also while your in there check the connections on the contractor. All the connections must be tight. Lets try all this stuff and see where we are.

Hope this helps!

chuck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Chuck G.'s Post: Did that all is tight, washed the coils with water 9harden hose)...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did all of that
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Ok the next thing is you will need to check the amperage of the unit while it is running.

There are a couple of things that may cause the breaker to blow. Dont count out that the breaker is good. These things go bad too. The amperage should be listed on the rating plate. I repaired one last summer that 2 techs diagnosed the compressor bad, and i told the customer to replace the breaker with a new one, and it never blew again. Only replace the breaker with the same size!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the braker with the new one; same result
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like the compressor is running hi amps during start up or the amps are continuing to climb while it is running. How old is your unit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
abt 15 yrs and please do not tell me I need a new unit
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
I only deal with the facts. Check your amperage with a digital amprobe. If the amperage is to high during start up or while its running, then the compressor is bad.

Hope this helps!
Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using justanswer.com
Chuck G.
__________________
Please " ACCEPT " when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated.
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!
Positive Feedback is very important, That is how we get rated! Bonuses are appreciated!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok than answer me this question: If the amps are climbing or high at start (that's why I changed the braker) should this happen each time. Especialy if the time in between the starts is long (me changing the braker; testing; tightening the terminals) than the amps should climb each time in about same time to "kick off" point. Rght?
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
possibly not, The compressor may have a dead spot in its motor. Motors during their life start and stop in the the same place many times. The internal motor that drived the pump may just be worn out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will set up monitor (electronic strip chart) and monitor amps for a couple of braker trips. I'll let you know what I find. For now I am "not any smarter" than I was this afternoon. Tanks for your help.
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
ok..... chuck