The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My Kenmore washing machine Model 110.26912691 purchased 9 - ...

Customer Question

My Kenmore washing machine Model 110.26912691 purchased 9 - 29-1999 fills with water, agitates but will not spin or drain. What is my problem and can I repair it myself. Thank you very much. David Arms
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

David I believe your wife has asked the same question. I supplied her the manual. Here are the instructions again for your benifit.

The problem that you are having is a fairly common one. The lid switch of your unit is shot.

It will need to be replaced. To do this you need to get the cabinet off from the chassis.

Start by removing the two screws at either side of the control panel. These may be under plastic end pieces. If they are the caps tilt towards you and up from the bottom.

Tilt the control panel up and to the rear of the unit. There will be a 2 wire plug in the middle under the control panel. Disconnect it.

There are two clips that the panel hinges on. These are also the clips that hold the cabinet to the chassis. Un hook them from the cabinet with a screwdriver or putty knife. The control panel stays attached on top of the back panel.

You can now rotate the cabinet towards you. Tilt it back until you can remove it from the chassis. The lid switch is the two wire plug you disconnected earlier. Unscrew it and replace it with the new switch.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

The switch is a very common part and any appliance center will have the part.

If you have any problems please do not hesitate to ask.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you don't.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Home Smithy,

The question is the original question. I (Dorothy Arms) asked the question and signed my husband's name. He was doing the repair and I the research. If you remember my husband is the one that discovered the lid switch as being the problem when he put his key into it and pushed it down. The machine then went into the cycles and drained the water. You were not the one to diagnose this problem.   I don't know why you think that there were two different questions. There was only one question. Maybe the question was sent twice but it was the original question written by me (Dorothy).   I was trying to get the issue resolved when you had to leave to do some work at your Mother's. I already put accept and you were paid $15.00 for answering the question. I hope that you do not feel that you should be paid twice because the original diagnosis was incorrect. The answer of how to repair the lid switch answered the original question. As far as I am concerned the questions about the lid switch were follow up questions to the original question.

To continue - It states three questions one accept. I did accept the answer for the original question and you were paid $15.00. The second question was an exact repeat of the first question. The third question was the question about the Bosch dishwasher which I never did receive an answer. Please do not bother to answer it now. I feel as though I have spent all day waiting to hear from you. I feel that Appliance Just Answer is a wonderful service and I thank you for your help with my washing machine problem. I hope that this helps to clarify my position and puts a Happy Smile on your face. Dorothy Arms

It does Dorothy;

I am sorry for the confusion.

As for your dishwasher there really isn't much I can do with the Bosch line. The are no manuals for them available to us (or most techs for that matter).

Your washer is a odd one. The diagnosis was from the book until your husband happened upon the switch. These units do not normally act like yours did. Situations such as this are the result of my not being there to see feel and poke as your husband did today. This is a disadvantage that we learn to deal with a little better each day.

Again I apologize to you for making you feel that you waited all day for me. There are other customers that I assisted today as well. I had a look at the time frames between your repays and my responses to them. The longest was today and it was less than 2 hours. I was researching your Bosch unit hoping to find something the same as your unit for most of that time. There are times that even the best of us here must research things. This we really can not control. But we do try to provide answers as fast as possible. it was at 12:00 pm today that i opted out of your dish washer question. I hope that you were not waiting for me to return to it. I opened it up to the other experts at that time. As I mentioned previously the Bosch line is still a mystery to many of us. That is why it remains unanswered still.

Dorothy I hold you in high regard for telling me how you feel. It is customers like yourself that I learn the most from. I am most grateful for your candid input.

I hope that you can now see my side of the situation a little more clearly also.

They call us experts, but as Niels Bohr-(1885-1962) said "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." I hope I never really am one.

Best wishes to you, and your husband.