The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

The ice maker in our fridge is driving me bonkers!

Customer Question

The ice maker in our fridge is driving me bonkers! Sometimes it makes ice ok (never in great quantities, tho) but most of the time it either makes ice very slowly or not at all. My husband has 'messed' with it a couple of times and it'll work ok for a while (a couple of weeks), then will go back to not making ice. I'm at work now and don't know any of the details about the fridge (like brand or model) but will add that information to my question this evening.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Most likely it is going to be a thermistor that has gone bad or may just be getting knocked out of its proper place and it is not reading a cold enough temprature to activate the harvest cycle.

This is an easy repair for most ice makers. But first I will need the make and model number of the refrigerator and the ice makjer if you can locate it.. I will be here till at least 10 or 11 pm PST so if you could just send ths information when you can that would be great.

Best; THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Great! I'll get back with you this evening.
Cool I'll be here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Many, many apologies for not posting last night. My husband had a few 'little' projects he needed my help with so I didn't get an opportunity to log on. Nor did I get a change to get you the information you need--except that the fridge is an Admiral. Hang in there with me please, and I'll post the information tonight. Promise!

Not a problem believe me. Had my eyes dialated and it is a serious task to type. I am still a hunt and peck typer and must look at the keys. That is even harder when the keyboard is a big blur.

Ill be here tonight.

See you then.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I can sure symphathize with you! It always seems to take forever til my eyes are back to normal after having them dilated!!   

Here's the information on the fridge: It's an Admiral Designer Series, model HMG 62186. As for the ice-maker itself, I couldn't find any information on that at all! Sorry.

Hey I can see again!

Ill look it up and get back to you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll be here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: I see you're online now--I'm getting ready to leave so if you post an answer to my question, I won't get to it until tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Ok I have a few diffrent types of service manuals for the Admiral (Whirlpool group) ice makers.

Have a look at this one first and let me know if it matches your unit. If not Ill post the others I have.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Nope, this isn't it--altho there may be good information in it. This one looks like a stand-alone ice maker unit, but ours is part of the freezer unit in our refrigerator.

NUTZ!! I did it again!

Sorry wrong file.

I'll up the right one now. This is the third time in 2 days that I have done this!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: "This is the third time in 2 days that I have done this!"   

Sounds like ME!!!!   :-)

LOL I must be getting old or something. I usually dont screw up like this. Eh ... Probably just the weather. Its good and warm now and Im used to bheing outside all day instead of at my desk. This blasted economy is starting to bug me.

Anyways enoutgh of my whinning. Here is the corect one.

Let me know if it is a match

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Help! When I click on the link, I get "Page cannot be found". . . . which is definitely the economy's fault for losing it in the first place! ;-)

As for getting old--as my Dad says, "Compared to what? It works for him--he just had major back surgery (at 82)and is doing fantastic--better than men a third his age!

Yup like me! lol

I'll up it again.

http://rapidshare.com/files/121522529/8178689__Icemaker_.pdf.html

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. (foxit.com) Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.
If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: The gremlins have struck again! The box for the security code only accepts 4 letters/digits, but the security codes (I've seen two different ones) contain more than 4 letters/digits. . . .

I feel like the universe has decided I'll have a faulty ice maker forever...........

Robbie