DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company

refridge not cooling at all

Customer Question

Our 4 year old refridg is not cooling, I cleaned coils etc. Both fans run. I hear the relay click to turn on the compressor but the compressor doesn''t start. The compressor was hot to the touch (could only keep hand on it for a short time). I let it sit overnight and cool but there was no change in the morning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

If the compressor is humming till it makes a clicking noise then stops humming for a few minutes, if it keeps repeating this You either need a start relay or the compressor has gone bad if You post the model number I can locate a relay for You.

Look forward to hearing from You

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,
The compressor does not start (hum) The relay clicks, and I will hear it click again after a few minutes but the compressor doesn't even vibrate. The refridg is a kithen aid model ksrs25 ibt03.
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

Whirlpool makes Kitchenaid and around the time Your refrigerator was made they had a problem with the relays this kit will fix all models and comes with instructions to figure out which pieces to use and how to connect them

Let Me know how it goes

P.S. This was easy to spot if you remove the old relay from the side of the compressor and shake it, it will sound like it has a bunch of little pieces rattling around in it.

The sound You will hear is the PTC disc that failed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DennisH's Post: Good morning,
You were right on, I replaced the start device and have the unit back running. When I removed the device it sounded like a baby ratttle.
I was able to locate the part locally.
Thanks for your expertise.
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

Glad to hear the good news